God’s Word Does Not Return Void

Occasionally when fulfilling the Great Commission, you will encounter individuals who claim the Bible has contradictions. I often respond to this objection by pulling out a Bible and asking, “Will you show me one?” Many times these folks cannot think of any. Others will point out something in the Scriptures that they consider a contradiction.

I had once such incident tonight while taking out the trash. Three boys were coming up the sidewalk and seeing this as a witnessing opportunity, I put down the bag of garbage and handed out tracts. The boys continued walking away as I attempted to minister to them more. It appeared they were focused on going somewhere.

Not long afterwards, a man watching me asked what I had just said to his son (this is why in some situations it’s best to avoid witnessing to young children unless you receive their parent’s permission first). I replied that I was a minister sharing the gospel. Then I proceeded to ask this man where he would spend eternity when his life ended. This man replied he didn’t believe in heaven or hell. It's possible he might have been a Black Muslim since he was with two men in suits who had been selling “The Final Call” newspaper at a nearby intersection.

This man went on to say that there could be no eternal death if Jesus said we will “inherit the earth.” I pointed out that when Jesus comes back to set up His millennial reign, many saints will rule with Him (Romans 8:17 says we are joint-heirs with Christ). This man had a mocking spirit and walked away as I attempted to share more Scripture with him. Still I consider this encounter a divine appointment. The two Black Muslims he was with also heard the truth of God’s word. Our labor in the Lord is not in vain. (1 Corinthians 15:58)

“So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, but it shall accomplish what I please, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.” – Isaiah 55:11

(Bible photo by Jimmy MacDonald)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher of the Ear

Toking the Ghost Revisited

An Appeal for Unity (An Open Letter to Old Paths Baptist Church in Northfield, MN)