It’s The Same Old Song

This weekend I stayed at a Christian retreat center in central Minnesota. In the sanctuary, Terry MacAlmon’s song “Precious Lamb of God” was repeatedly heard on a CD player in between meetings. This is one of my favorite songs by Terry. However, I opted to stay away from the sanctuary as much as possible.

It’s happened many times before when I got tired of a particular song simply because the pastor, worship leader, or person in charge overplayed it. I know one minister who habitually plays the same song over and over on his iPod at the end of his meetings. One of his favorites is Roy Fields’ “In the Presence of Angels.” I liked that song when I first heard it at the Lakeland Outpouring meetings in 2008. But after my minister friend played “Angels” so many times at his meetings, I now cringe whenever I hear it. That’s sad because it’s really an anointed song.

One might argue that they will sing the same song over and over in heaven. Revelation 4:8 says, “The four living creatures, each having six wings, were full of eyes around and within. And they do not rest day or night, saying: ‘Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, Who was and is and is to come!’” But it later says in Revelation 5:9 and 14:3 they “sing a new song” in heaven. Many verses in the Psalms commands us to do the same thing.

Jesus told us in Matthew 6:7 to avoid vain repetitions in our prayers. I believe this also applies to the music we use when worshipping the Lord. God likes variety.

“Sing to the LORD a new song, and His praise in the assembly of saints.” - Psalm 149:1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Ready for Rebuke

Why I'm Republican and Voting for Trump