Mind Your Own Business


Recently the Lord gave me a vision of a minister I know who was covered up in black clothing like a ninja.  I shared this with a friend who also knows this minister.  We agreed the meaning of this vision was that this man was covered in deception because of not being accountable to others.

However, being accountable doesn’t mean we must allow everyone to speak into our lives anytime they please.  One man I used to work with has a big problem in this area.  Over the years, he has sent me numerous messages laced with unsolicited advice.  In one recent email, he quoted 2 Thessalonians 3:10 (If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat”) suggesting I’m in sin for not holding down a regular 40 hour/week job instead of traveling doing the Lord’s work.  I replied by suggesting he read the very next verse.  The Apostle Paul also comes against busybodies or as the New Living Translation says, “meddling in other people’s business.”  One definition of meddle is “touch or handle something without permission.”

There is a difference between rebuking someone living in sin and simply giving someone our opinion.  We should always be open to godly correction.  Proverbs 19:20 says, Listen to counsel and receive instruction, 
that you may be wise in your latter days.  But some people need to learn not to continuously overstep another person's boundaries.  It’s just plain rude! 

One type of advice I particularly find annoying is when fellow believers tell me how I should evangelize when they themselves don’t obey the Great Commission.  Getting back to my former co-worker, I explained to him that what may not be the right way for him may be the right way for me.  Finally I had to stop communicating with this man because he repeatedly tried to get in the last word.  Even Jesus sometimes walked away from the Pharisees when they continually harassed Him.

Christians would be wise to stop and pray first before telling anybody what he or she should do.  Even a minister can unwittingly be used as a tool of Satan and lead another believer down a destructive path.  In 1 Kings 13, there’s an account of a prophet who gives direction supposedly from an angel that led another prophet to disobey the Lord and later get killed by a lion.

We are responsible for carrying out God’s plan for our lives, not someone else’s.

“If you suffer, however, it must not be for murder, stealing, making trouble, or prying into other people’s affairs.” - 1 Peter 4:15 (NLT)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher of the Ear

Toking the Ghost Revisited

An Appeal for Unity (An Open Letter to Old Paths Baptist Church in Northfield, MN)