A Mormon President?


Former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney is expected to officially become the Republican nominee for President this week at the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Florida. However, many Christians are having qualms about a Mormon possibly becoming president. 

Certainly, I prefer a president whose spiritual beliefs are more in line with evangelical Christianity. Then again, not every past president fits this category.  John F. Kennedy was a Roman Catholic. Thomas Jefferson and John Adams were deists. Millard Fillmore and William Howard Taft were Unitarians. Taft even said one time that he did not believe in the divinity of Christ. Fortunately, no U. S. president has declared himself to be an agnostic or atheist. 

Nevertheless, I don’t agree with many of the teachings promoted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. In summary…

                I don’t believe in Joseph Smith.  I believe Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. (John 14:6)
                I don’t believe Jesus was born in Jerusalem as the Book of Mormon claims (Alma 7:10).  I believe Jesus was born in the little town of Bethlehem. (Matthew 2:1)
                I don’t believe Satan is Jesus’ brother.  I believe Jesus defeated that fallen angel He created and has given us His name to cast demons out of people. (Mark 16:17)
                I don’t believe in seeking after a burning in the bosom (Doctrine of Covenants 9:8).  I believe we are to walk by faith and not by sight. (2 Corinthians 5:7)
                I don’t believe we are saved “after all we can do” (2 Nephi 25:23).  I believe we are saved solely by grace through faith in Jesus Christ and not by works.  (Ephesians 2:8-9)

If Mitt Romney does win the election in November, let’s pray that as president he makes godly decisions and more importantly comes to know whom Jesus really is.

“And He changes the times and the seasons; He removes kings and raises up kings; He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding.” - Daniel 2:21




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?