Additional Habits to Break


J. Lee Grady is the former editor of Charisma magazine who still writes a weekly column for them called “Fire in My Bones.”  Brother Grady often points out things done in our Spirit-filled churches that need changing.  A recent column had an article titled “9 Bad Charismatic Habits We Need to Break.”  I encourage you to read his article in its entirety but I will share the list of habits…

1. The body slam.
2. The courtesy drop.
3. The song that never ends.
4. The amateur flag corp.
5. The wannabe telethon offering.
6. The sermon with seven endings.
7. The praise-a-go-go dancers.
8. The ear-shattering amp.
9. The “jump-start” glossalalia.

After reading Brother Grady’s article, I thought of two other annoying habits preachers should stop doing...

1) Telling the congregation to “turn to your neighbor” numerous times during the service to say something.  I think it’s okay to do this once or twice during a service (I even tried this years ago when giving a speech on bible prophecy during a Toastmasters meeting).  On the other hand, I know one Pentecostal preacher who instructs the congregation to “turn to your neighbor” as much as ten times during her sermons.  Sometimes I purposely sit by myself in the sanctuary so I won’t have someone next to me to say something to.

2) Adding an “a” to words when preaching.  I heard Andrew Wommack point out how one could recite a nursery rhyme like this to make it sound holy (“Mary had-a little lamb-a, its fleece was-a white as snow-a...”).  It actually sounds like one is trying to talk Italian here.

Every church has its traditions and every minister has habits that are part of his or her personality.  Still one shouldn’t feel obligated to participate in certain activities over and over especially if they are not grounded on Scripture.

“making the word of God of no effect through your tradition which you have handed down.  And many such things you do.” - Mark 7:13


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Ready for Rebuke

Why I'm Republican and Voting for Trump