Undignified


Whenever I need a spiritual kick-start, one thing I like to do is play the song “Undignified” on my laptop computer and dance around the room. This Matt Redman song has been recorded by a variety of Christian artists. My favorite version (and the first one I ever heard) is from the 1997 album “Catch the Fire 4” released by Toronto Airport Christian Fellowship. Here’s a portion of the song’s lyrics…

I will dance
I will sing
To be mad for my King
Nothing Lord is hindering this passion in my soul
And I'll become even more undignified than this
Some may say it’s foolishness but I'll become even more undignified than this

The song’s lyrics are based on passages from 2 Samuel 6…

14 Then David danced before the Lord with all his might; and David was wearing a linen ephod.

20 Then David returned to bless his household. And Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David, and said, “How glorious was the king of Israel today, uncovering himself today in the eyes of the maids of his servants, as one of the base fellows shamelessly uncovers himself!”
21 So David said to Michal, “It was before the Lord, who chose me instead of your father and all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the Lord, over Israel. Therefore I will play music before the Lord.
22 And I will be even more undignified than this, and will be humble in my own sight. But as for the maidservants of whom you have spoken, by them I will be held in honor.”

Because verse 20 talks about David uncovering himself; some people think David danced around naked. Verse 14 in the Amplified Bible clarifies an ephod is “a priest’s upper garment.” Personally I think this means David danced around in his underwear.

The word dignified is defined as “having or showing a composed or serious manner that is worthy of respect.” While we should always have a holy reverence for God, often as Christians we take ourselves too seriously. 

So the next time you feel spiritually drained, try dancing around to the song “Undignified.” Everytime I do this, it results in me bursting out in holy laughter.

“He will yet fill your mouth with laughing, and your lips with rejoicing.” - Job 8:21

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?