Thinking About Drinking


Shortly after giving my life to the Lord twenty-two years ago, I became convinced it’s best to totally abstain from alcoholic beverages. However, a minister I know recently posted a YouTube video claiming it’s okay for Christians to drink booze in moderation. Initially, I was reluctant to watch this video knowing this minister uses fermented wine while serving communion. Nevertheless, I decided to give the video a fair viewing and became a bit troubled when I heard him quote Deuteronomy 14:26 (KJV)…

“And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the Lord thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household.”

This verse appears to contradict other Scriptures warning against the consumption of intoxicating drink. While doing more research on the subject, I came across a two-part video series by Perry Stone called “A Little Toddy for the Body.” One thing Perry points out is the wine drunk in Biblical times was often diluted with water. It had far less alcohol content than most of the wine manufactured today.

The famous inventor Thomas Edison (who never even professed to be a Christian) stated, “To put alcohol into the human body is like putting sand in the bearings of an engine. I am a total abstainer from alcoholic liquor. I always thought I had a better use for my head.” 

Personally, I think it’s irresponsible for any minister to encourage believers (especially those young in the Lord) to have an occasional drink of liquor. Moderate drinking still results in moderate intoxication that can impair a person’s judgment and influence them to sin. For some, it has led to devastating consequences. 

Four years ago at an ApologetiX concert in Maryland, I heard a young man share his testimony. Nathan Jones had once gone to a party where he drank just one beer. While driving home that night, Nathan blacked out and discovered the next day he had caused a car accident that killed a middle-aged Christian couple. Although the couple's family members forgave Nathan and pleaded with the authorities for mercy on his behalf, he still spent a couple of years in prison.

During my missionary travels, I sometimes stayed with believers who had beer or wine in the house. Usually, I didn’t say anything about that unless they asked or offered me a drink. As for my household, I don’t want alcohol in any part of it. Ephesians 4:27 tells us to give no place to the devil. One does not have to be an alcoholic to have alcohol ruin his life and those closest to him.

If a believer never starts drinking in the first place, then he will never have a problem with drinking.

“All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify. Let no one seek his own, but each one the other’s well-being.” -   1 Corinthians 10:23-24

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?