Not On My Bucket List

The latest Internet craze to go viral is the Ice Bucket Challenge. By dumping a bucket of cold water on their heads, people from all walks of life have raised awareness and funds to fight Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. ALS (also known as “Lou Gehrig’s Disease”) is a progressive degeneration of the central nervous system, leading to the weakening of muscles and paralysis. 

My friends have expressed mixed reactions to the Ice Bucket Challenge. Some have participated believing it’s for a worthy cause. Others oppose it because many ALS organizations conduct embryonic stem cell research, which results in the killing of pre-born human life. A few God-fearing participants of the challenge have specified their donations go to pro-life organizations like the John Paul II Medical Research Institute in Iowa, which uses adult stem cells.

As for myself, I’ve chosen not to participate in the Ice Bucket Challenge. I’d rather give my time and money to organizations that minister divine healing. God can heal all kinds of diseases including ALS like what happened to one Michigan woman.

Incidentally, this is not meant as an attack on the medical community (I have an uncle who’s a doctor). Medical research can be beneficial to society when done ethically. However, it should be pointed out that during Jesus’ earthly ministry, He never referred anyone to Dr. Luke or some other physician. Whenever someone came to Him for healing, Jesus healed that person directly without the use of drugs. When Jesus hung on the cross, He was offered a type of drug to ease His pain but refused it. 

Under the New Covenant, believers are commanded to heal the sick. While healing can still manifest through doctors and medicine, I believe it’s God’s best for His people to walk in divine health. In 2 Chronicles 16:12-13, King Asa died because he sought help from the physicians instead of the Lord.

One Facebook friend offered this challenge that I will embrace: “Let’s spend one hour a day in the morning with Jesus and pray, worship and seek Him and He will dump a bucket of oil on your head.”

“You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over.” - Psalm 23:5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?