The Law is Good

Some Christians get really defensive when they hear about the need to obey God’s word. This past Wednesday I witnessed to a dollar store employee who was taking a smoke break outside. She claimed to know the Lord but wasn’t going to church anywhere. When I tried pointing out how Hebrews 10:25 commands us not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together, she walked away saying, “I have my own beliefs!” 

Part of the problem is ministers not presenting a balanced perspective of God. Just as some preach too much about God’s judgment, others totally disregard (and in some cases distort) the Bible’s warnings on disobeying His commandments. l frequently hear believers who defiantly boast, “I am not under law but under grace.” They associate obedience with legalism. 

There are numerous Scriptures that talk about treasuring God’s laws. Let’s look at a few from the largest chapter in the Bible...

“I will delight myself in Your statutes; I will not forget Your word.” - Psalm 119:16

“Open my eyes, that I may see wondrous things from Your law.” - Psalm 119:18

“And I will delight myself in Your commandments, which I love.” - Psalm 119:47

“The law of Your mouth is better to me than thousands of coins of gold and silver.” - Psalm 119:72

“Oh, how I love Your law! It is my meditation all the day. You, through Your commandments, make me wiser than my enemies.” - Psalm 119:97-98

“Therefore I love Your commandments more than gold, yes, than fine gold!” - Psalm 119:127

“Great peace have those who love Your law, and nothing causes them to stumble.” - Psalm 119:165

Even the New Testament recognizes the value of the law...

“Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.” - Romans 7:12

“Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters.” - 1 Corinthians 7:19

“But we know that the law is good if one uses it lawfully,” - 1 Timothy 1:8 

Fellow evangelist Daniel K. Norris says, “I have found that grace doesn't render the law irrelevant to me but actually makes it even more relevant for me.” 

It is possible to delight in God's law and still be under grace.

But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.” - James 1:25 (NIV)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Is That Gold Dust Real?

Toking the Ghost Revisited