A Eulogy for Leonard

Back in 1995, I became friends with another serious soul winner who was part of the evangelism ministry at Living Word Christian Center in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota. Leonard Micklin led hundreds to the Lord apart from the church’s scheduled outings. Often when I arrived prior to an outreach or service, Leonard was sitting in the sanctuary confessing the word. I admired his faith in God meeting his needs without having a job or car.

Leonard didn’t seek to promote himself but the gospel. He often wore a baseball cap with the name of Jesus on it and sang praise songs after leading someone to salvation. During one outing in downtown Minneapolis, I was the leader but perceived the Lord wanted Leonard to lead our team for a while. Leonard was reluctant but agreed to do so. Later I learned the heads of the evangelism ministry were already nudging Leonard to become a team leader.

Not long after I started working for the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, Leonard often said, “Say ‘Hi’ to Billy for me” (I would do so at an employee picnic). Eventually, the Lord directed me to step out and live by faith as well. Leonard and I traded testimonies of provision to encourage each other since we were sometimes criticized by well-meaning Christians for not having “a real job.”

In 1999 the Lord led Leonard to briefly work for a mutual friend’s roofing company. I joined them on one assignment even though my heart wasn’t really into it (I was never fond of manual labor jobs). A short time later, Leonard left the Twin Cities area. For seventeen years I often wondered what happened to him. 

This past Monday night before another Living Word outreach, it was announced Leonard had died at the age of 71. Just before his passing on October 1st, Leonard had served six years as the evangelism pastor at a church in Tulsa, Oklahoma. 

I’m sure many believers in heaven who came to Christ through Leonard are thanking him for his obedience to the Great Commission. May that be our mission as well.

“His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’” - Matthew 25:21

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?