Let Boys Be Boys

During my childhood, I was never a Boy Scout partially because of my lack of interest in camping and other outdoor activities. Nevertheless, I believe in the ideas the Boy Scouts of America have promoted for over 100 years. Their well-known motto is “be prepared.” Sadly, the BSA didn’t prepare for what Christina Hoff Sommers calls “The War on Boys.”

Five years ago, singer Carly Rae Jepsen and the band Train were scheduled to perform at that year’s National Scout Jamboree. Both backed out because of then-BSA policies forbidding homosexuals. Jepsen stated, “As an artist who believes in equality for all people, I will not be participating in the Boy Scouts of America Jamboree this summer.” If I was attending that jamboree, I’d rather hear Fred Flintstone sing “Old MacDonald Had a Farm.”

The Boy Scouts of America have since amended their policies. First, they allowed “openly gay youths” to join at the beginning of 2014. Then in July 2015, the BSA ended their blanket ban on homosexual leaders and employees. Church-sponsored Scout units can still maintain exclusions for religious reasons. This compromise has resulted in some churches disallowing Boy Scout groups from meeting in their buildings.

If I was a parent, I’d be leery of any homosexual leader installing ideas in my children that are contrary to the word of God. Proverbs 22:6 says, “Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.” Fortunately, there are Christian alternatives to scouting such as Royal Rangers.

Earlier this week, it was announced the Boy Scouts of America are changing their name to “Scouts BSA” since girls will be welcome to join starting next year. This wasn’t because of mass protests by young females demanding equality. There is already a club for them called the Girl Scouts. Instead, the BSA has succumbed to corporate funding pressures by feminists, leftists, and other organizations aiming to homogenize and blur gender distinctions.

The BSA slogan is “Do a Good Turn Daily.” One good turn they should do is stand up for their own oath which states, “On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.” Accommodating homosexuals and children’s gender confusions contradicts this oath and will have negative consequences for eternity. 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 warns that the effeminate will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Boys and girls were designed differently so that most of them eventually complement each other in marriage. While it’s good for the sexes to do certain activities together, they also need time apart. Boys need to learn to become men and girls need to learn to become women. 

Let boys be boys!

“So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.” - Genesis 1:27

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Is That Gold Dust Real?

Toking the Ghost Revisited