Mother Earth


Two days ago I stopped at Burger King for lunch. It wasn’t until after leaving the restaurant I noticed my water cup had the phrase "Be Good to Mother Earth" stamped on it. My first thought was, “Since when did this planet birth ‘little Earths’"?

I posted my reaction on Facebook and received some interesting feedback from my friends. One of them wrote, “The Church of England is getting gripped by this Save the Planet stuff, pray they will concentrate more on saving souls!” Another friend wrote, “Psalm 50:10 says for every animal of the forest is mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills. So, who's the real burger KING?”

Years ago at a Toastmasters meeting, I heard one speaker urging us to “love your mother” (referring to the earth). I’ve also seen bumper stickers saying the same thing. There’s one thing I need to make clear to all the environmentalists out there: The earth isn’t my mother!

Some of you may remember an old Chiffon Margarine commercial with the catchphrase, “It’s not nice to fool Mother Nature.” But Romans chapter 1 points out those who worship creation instead of the creator are the real fools…

22 Professing to be wise, they became fools,
23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.
24 Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves,
25 who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

I agree that man is responsible for being a good steward of this planet and its resources. But again we are commanded to worship God, not the planet or the things in it!

“The earth is the LORD’s, and all its fullness, the world and those who dwell therein.” - Psalm 24:1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Is That Gold Dust Real?

Toking the Ghost Revisited