Disabled for Christ?

A friend of mine once sent me an email that intended to be a praise report. Due to personal health issues, he was approved to receive disability payments. This man became (as he called it) “disabled for Christ.”

In one way, it was good news my friend started receiving a consistent income stream. From the time I’ve known him, he’s struggled with finances and keeping a steady job. I can identify with creative individuals who have difficulties finding their niche in the workplace. Aside from that, my friend prefers to be in ministry and occasionally does volunteer work in that area.

On the other hand, I don’t consider being “disabled for Christ” a praise report. Immediately Philippians 4:13 came to my mind, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Sadly, there are people who don’t want to be healed for fear of losing money and people’s sympathy. It reminds of a joke I heard years ago…

A Republican with a hunched back entered a restaurant one afternoon and asked the waitress for a cup of coffee. He shuffled over to a booth, painfully sat down, and glanced across the restaurant and asked, “Is that Jesus over there?”

The waitress nodded, so the Republican said to give Jesus a cup of coffee, his treat.

The second patron to enter the restaurant was a Reform Party supporter on crutches. He hobbled over to a booth, sat down and hollered, “Hey there, sweet thang, how's about gettin' me a cold glass of Coke!”

He, too, looked across the restaurant and asked, “Is that God's boy over there?”

The waitress nodded, so he said to give Jesus a cold glass of Coke, on his bill.

The third patron to come into the restaurant was a Democrat in a wheel chair and he asked the waitress for a cup of tea. He also looked across the restaurant and asked, “Is that Jesus sitting over there?”

The waitress nodded “yes,” so he told her to give Jesus a cup of tea on him.

As Jesus got up to leave, He passed by the Republican, touched him and said, “For your kindness, you are healed.”

The Republican felt his back straightening up, and he rose up his hands, praised the Lord and did a series of back flips as he went out the door.

Then Jesus passed by the third party guy, touched him and said, “For your kindness, you are healed.”

The man felt the strength come back into his legs, got up, and danced a jig out the door.

Then Jesus walked towards the Democrat. Suddenly the Democrat jumped up and yelled, “Don't touch me...I'm drawing disability!”

I’m not saying it’s wrong to receive any form of government assistance. Personally I would like to see more done for our military veterans who sacrificed their lives to protect the freedoms we often take for granted. As a young Christian, I briefly collected unemployment benefits but didn’t feel comfortable with that. Once I submitted an application for subsidized housing but later found a place to live through a pastor I know. I felt this was a reminder believers should avoid looking to the government as their source of supply.

God wants to be our provider as well as our healer.

“Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits: Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases.” - Psalm 103:2-3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?