M. O. M. (Memories of Mother)

 Thanksgiving 2008
In these last days, Satan is trying to pervert gender distinctions. Currently the media is flooded with reports of men “identifying as women” fighting for the right to use women’s bathrooms (and vice versa). For the past ten years, Spain has issued birth certificates replacing “Father” and “Mother” with “Progenitor A” and “Progenitor B.” No matter how the world tries to redefine the family unit, children cannot be born without a mother. 

On this Mother’s Day, I want to honor the woman who brought me into this world 52 years ago in Fargo, North Dakota. Growing up in the bordering city of Moorhead, Minnesota, I wasn’t fond of the traditional church we attended as a family. Still my mother made sure my sister and I said our prayers before going to sleep. If there was a thunderstorm outside, Mom told us God’s angels were bowling (the loudest claps of thunder meant they got a strike). She happened to be an avid bowler.

Football is another sport my mother enjoys. We've spent many Sundays watching the Minnesota Vikings on TV. Mom often got more emotional about the games than I did. She would jump off the couch and yell at the players while nearly knocking me over in the process. 

Back in the day my mother was a homemaker and often cooked meals for us. As my sister and I got older, Mom worked outside the house more. One of her jobs was a sales representative for a major candy company. As a result we got to enjoy a lot of free samples.

Another thing I appreciate about my mother is her sense of humor. Whenever my sister and I did something naughty but wouldn’t fess up, Mom sarcastically declared, “Ol’ Tom is at it again!” (Tom was my imaginary twin brother.) A few years ago while finishing a phone conversation, I told Mom I would “keep her posted” on my happenings. She replied, “Don’t take our name in vain.”

Even if your mother hasn’t exactly been a Proverbs 31 woman, I exhort you to be a blessing to her. Proverbs 23:22 says, “…do not despise your mother when she is old.” If she’s still living but you cannot see her in person today, how about giving her a call to let her know how much she is loved? I’m sure she would appreciate that.

“Honor your father and mother,” which is the first commandment with promise: “that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth.” - Ephesians 6:2-3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?