Reflecting on the 2012 Election


Last weekend at a prayer meeting in Massachusetts, I was waiting on the Lord when I had a disturbing vision of Barack Obama’s face. I noticed the president had evil-looking eyes and then the vision zoomed in on his forehead. Minutes later I exhorted the congregation to pray daily for our government leaders to have the mind of Christ, so they make godly decisions (1 Timothy 2:1-4). Those who continue to enact policies contrary to Scripture need to be voted out!

The morning after Election Day, a Facebook friend shared with me a Bob Jones prophecy from earlier this year declaring Mitt Romney would become the next U. S. president. Although I was disturbed that it appears Bob’s prophecy won’t be coming to pass, one thought went through my mind. Romney may have been the candidate God wanted to win this election but all His people didn’t do their part in voting. According to the latest statistics I’ve seen, fewer people voted in the 2012 election than they did in 2008. Faith and Freedom Coalition founder Ralph Reed estimated 17 million Evangelical Christians didn't vote in the 2008 election. (Barack Obama defeated John McCain by about half that amount of votes.)

I’ve had other Facebook friends proudly announce they didn’t vote this year. One of them even suggested if we had voted either for Mitt Romney or Barack Obama, we needed to repent. Shortly after I posted a response pointing out how voter apathy is one reason bad politicians win elections, my friend removed my comment from his wall. I have no regrets that I voted for Mitt Romney. Granted I wasn’t totally fond of the possibility of a Mormon president. But for this year's election, I felt he was a better choice to lead this nation. 

Before some of you pick up stones and accuse Bob Jones of being a false prophet, there is one part of his prophecy that deserves special attention: “These next eight years will be full of joy if the Church steps into authority and God's righteous people are elected.” Notice the word “if” was inserted. Many prophetic words are conditional. We need to do our part (in this case by praying and voting) to see them come to pass.

While I will continue praying for Barack Obama, I still don’t like the thought of four more years of a Commander-in-Chief who is forcing a national health care plan down our throats plus endorses perverted lifestyles, killing unborn babies, and dividing up Israel’s land. But despite the consequences of bad decisions made by our political leaders, God will continue providing for those who put their trust in Him. Even when the ten plagues were brought upon Egypt as the result of Pharaoh’s stubbornness, the Israelites were supernaturally protected.

May God continue to have mercy upon the United States of America.

“Godliness makes a nation great, but sin is a disgrace to any people.” - Proverbs 14:34 (NLT)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Is That Gold Dust Real?

Toking the Ghost Revisited