Answering Blasphemers

Throughout my lifetime (and especially when I was a kid), I've heard numerous wisecracks involving my last name. People have called me “Post Office”, “Post Toasties”, “Post Raisin Bran”, and “Post Nasal Drip.” A few years ago while ending a phone conversation with my mother, I told her I would keep her “posted.” She sarcastically replied, “Don’t take our name in vain.” 

On a more serious note, punishment awaits sinners who break the third commandment. Both Exodus 20:7 and Deuteronomy 5:11 says, “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.” Even though I frequently used profanity before becoming a Christian, I still had a fear of God to where I avoided blaspheming. 

People wouldn't think of using their mother’s name as a swear word. I've yet to hear anyone holler “Buddha” or the name of some other religious figure if they hit their thumb with a hammer, stubbed their toe or got upset about something. Yet many Hollywood actors habitually say the name of Jesus irreverently. Can you imagine the resulting uproar from Muslims if Mohammed’s name was blasphemed on TV or the silver screen? 

A popular acronym used nowadays for online chatting and texting is “omg”, which often stands for “Oh My God” (although some people claim it also stands for “Oh my goodness” or “Oh my gosh”). Do you use this phrase without sincerely calling upon the Lord? Regardless of what you call Him, irreverence to God’s name has serious consequences unless one repents. 

One friend told me when she hears someone utter “g-ddamn”; she fires back, “God’s last name is not damn!” Whenever I hear someone blaspheme, I prefer to respond in a way that gives the offender an opportunity to get right with God. One time when I boarded a train for a trip to North Dakota, a woman sitting next to me blurted out, “Jesus Christ!” I turned to her and said, “Oh...you know the Lord, too?” She gave me a strange look and didn't say much after that. I’m sure it gave her something to think about. Another friend of mine heard a great reply she sometimes uses when hearing Jesus’ name taken in vain: "Yep! That's the one who saved me!" 

Regardless of Satan’s efforts to discredit the Lord’s name, he still has to bow down whenever a Christian speaks the name of Jesus with boldness. One popular worship song features these lyrics… 

One day every tongue will confess you are God 
One day every knee will bow 
Still the greatest treasure remains for those who gladly choose you now 

How do you respond when you hear the Lord’s name? 

 "that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” - Philippians 2:10-11

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?