Majoring on Minors

I have a friend who for a long time was a “pre-trib” rapture believer and talked of debating an outspoken “post-trib” minister he allows to have meetings in his home. Having been to one of those meetings, I kept discouraging my friend from trying to correct this minister who wasn’t apologetic after I pointed out the inaccuracy of one of his claims.

Then last month following a church service, my friend announced he now believes the church will be raptured “mid-trib.” When I gave a reason why I cannot agree with him on that, he got out his cell phone and was about to call someone to help defend his newly-embraced doctrine. Fortunately that got interrupted when my friend was called forward by two altar workers to receive prayer. I then quietly slipped out of the church.

It’s one thing for Christians to reason together so we can all grow in knowledge of the Scriptures. Unfortunately, some focus on promoting doctrines that have no effect on people’s eternal destinies. Occasionally when I’m out evangelizing, individuals ask questions like “How were you water baptized?” or “Which Bible translation do you use?” Most of these people are already set in their beliefs and not open to correction. As a result, they try wasting my time if I don’t share their viewpoint. It reminds me of what Jesus called the Pharisees in Matthew 23:24: “Blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!”

One motivational speaker gave this key to success: “We can no more afford to spend major time on minor things than we can to spend minor time on major things.” Let’s keep the main thing the main thing and focus on preaching the gospel. 

“For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified.” - 1 Corinthians 2:2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Is That Gold Dust Real?

Toking the Ghost Revisited