Why I'm Republican and Voting for Trump

As a kid, I didn’t follow politics too closely but for some reason identified with the Republican Party. In 1972 I saw a TV ad about that year’s election between Richard Nixon and George McGovern. When the announcer said the word “Democrat”, I had a negative impression even though I was too young to understand what each political party represented.

The 1984 presidential election was the first I was old enough to participate in. Originally I planned to vote for Walter Mondale simply because he was from my home state of Minnesota. That changed after I heard on the news Mondale supported gay rights. At that time I became increasingly aware (and troubled) about homosexuality gaining acceptance in society. So on Election Day, I voted for Ronald Reagan. Back then I wasn’t totally fond of The Gipper but now appreciate how his presidency helped end the Cold War.

Since committing my life to Jesus in 1991, I’ve always voted Republican. That party’s candidates usually have policies closer to the Judeo-Christian ethic. Still, I look at voter guides to make sure I’m not voting for a RINO (Republican In Name Only). On the other hand, practically all Democrats nowadays support abortion and other liberal causes contrary to the word of God.

This past week the Republican National Convention took place in Cleveland, Ohio. My Facebook newsfeed has been flooded with comments regarding that. A few of my friends declared they will not vote for Donald Trump and instead cast their ballot for a third-party candidate. I won’t belittle their convictions but question how that will make a difference. 

The last third party candidate who made a noticeable dent in a presidential election was Ross Perot. In 1992 he participated in debates and received 19% of the popular vote but no electoral votes (which determines the outcome of an election). Although I agreed with Perot’s concerns over government spending and the national debt, I would not vote for him because he supported abortion and gay rights.

Shortly after the 1992 election, I heard Billye Brim talk about how when she was on her way to vote, “Bill Clinton” came up in her spirit. Billye stopped dead in her tracks and said, “Lord, I cannot vote for killing babies.” The Lord told her, “You vote your conscience but Clinton is going to win.”

A year ago I expressed misgivings about Donald Trump’s character and his standing with the Lord. Since then many Christian leaders have endorsed him. Focus on the Family’s James Dobson is part of a group serving on a faith advisory committee for Trump. Dobson posted the following comments in his blog…

“If anything, this man [Trump] is a baby Christian who doesn’t have a clue about how believers think, talk, and act. All I can tell you is that we have only two choices, Hillary or Donald. Hillary scares me to death. And, if Christians stay home because he isn’t a better candidate, Hillary will run the world for perhaps eight years. The very thought of that haunts my nights and days. One thing is sure: we need to be in prayer for our nation at this time of crisis.”

I’ve read and heard many prophecies about Donald Trump being used as God’s “trumpet” in this day and hour. A couple of friends even suggested his selecting Mike Pence as his running mate is prophetic (“TrumPence”). Regardless, keep in mind we are voting for a president…not a pastor. One major reason I’m voting for Trump is that I don’t want the Clintons back in the White House.

So if you’re a fellow American who isn’t fond of the choices available for this upcoming election, don’t let that stop you from going to the polls in November. Pray and ask God to guide you in who to vote for. That would include congressmen and other officials who have the guts to keep a bad president in check. Every election is determined by the people who show up. If you stay home and the wrong people are elected, then you have no right to complain.

”When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan.” - Proverbs 29:2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?