Avoid a Political Spirit

During a recent road trip with a fellow missionary, we entertained ourselves by listening to various videos on YouTube through a smartphone (I was playing DJ since my friend was driving most of the time). Many of the ads that interrupted the streaming were about political races going on in the states we drove through. It’s bad enough political ads in America focus on the negatives of a politician’s opponent. But now I’ve noticed many ads only talk about why we shouldn’t vote for a particular candidate. They don’t even mention the candidate they want us voting for!

I’ve also noticed many of my Facebook friends making negative comments about politicians they don’t like. While I occasionally speak out on political topics on my Facebook page and in this blog, I am careful not to make personal attacks on politicians I don’t agree with. Titus 3:1-2 says, “Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to obey, to be ready for every good work, to speak evil of no one, to be peaceable, gentle, showing all humility to all men.” 

Sadly, some Christians become obsessed with politics to where they will ex-communicate those who disagree with them. Two years ago, I received a Facebook friend request from a revivalist who previously unfriended me because of the differences we had regarding the Second Amendment. She friended me from a second page set up to promote Hillary Clinton for president. I sent a private message explaining I already voted for Donald Trump using an absentee ballot but she was welcome to connect with me after the election. This revivalist responded with a bunch of negative comments about Trump. She also claimed I “lost my heart” for evangelism. A casual glance of my web pages would refute that accusation.

God doesn’t like division within the Body of Christ. Remember Jesus died for Republicans and Democrats alike. We must show the love of God to everyone regardless of their political beliefs.

“By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” - John 13:35

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Is That Gold Dust Real?

Toking the Ghost Revisited