Memorable Christmas Songs

One thing that makes the holiday season special is music exclusively heard this time of the year. As a Christian, I now prefer hearing Christ-centered songs as opposed to those glorifying Santa Claus. Nevertheless, I have fond memories of various tunes associated with Christmas. Here are a few of them…

The Chipmunk Song - This David Seville hit reached number #1 in 1958. I first heard it on the radio sixteen years later when I was ten. Earlier that year, I got my first Panasonic tape recorder and had already created similar recordings. I discovered that recording myself while using batteries low on power and then plugging in the AC adapter for playback at regular speed resulted in high-pitched voices. 

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer - During first grade, I repeatedly listened to an old 78 rpm record of this old Gene Autry hit. While doing so I imagined my own music video featuring other kids from school performing on it. I also remember classmates singing a parody of this called “Randolph the Red-Nosed Cowboy.”

“Jingle Bells” - Here’s another popular Christmas carol that has a well-known parody. The lyrics go like this: “Jingle Bells, Batman smells, Robin laid an egg. The Batmobile lost a wheel, and the Joker got away.” I liked singing both versions of this song. This video combines the two.

“Put One Foot in Front of the Other” - This is from the 1970 stop motion television special “Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town.” A few years ago, I found the song on YouTube and noticed spiritual connotations. John 10:7 says that Jesus is the door to salvation. The character Winter sang, “You mean that it's just my election to vote for a chance to be reborn.” He later walked down a snowy trail instead of a sawdust trail.

“The Snow Miser Song” and “The Heat Miser Song” - Both songs were from another animated TV special: “The Year Without A Santa Claus.” A classmate of mine continually sang these at school the day after it first aired in 1974. I liked the songs enough to copy them with my tape recorder the following December.

“Little Drummer Boy” - This song inspired one of the few TV specials that focused on the Reason for the Season. When first hearing this, I thought women were singing until realizing the opening credits mention the Vienna Boys Choir. Years later, I would despise the lyric: “I am a poor boy, too.” The Jesus I know is a King who temporarily gave up heavenly riches but now promises abundant life to those who follow Him (John 10:10).

Go Tell It on the Mountain - During third grade, my class sang this as part of a Christmas program. Weeks earlier in music class, I added extra percussion to this song by tapping my pencil on the table. My classmates liked that. Later during a play rehearsal, I got them to join me in clapping that added rhythm.

Happy Xmas (War is Over) - I didn’t care for some of the lyrics (which also protested the Vietnam War) but liked John Lennon’s music. Once I bought his “Shaved Fish” compilation album partially for this song. I still get goosebumps when hearing it today.

“Twelve Days of Christmas” - The original Christmas carol was a favorite of mine but I later enjoyed a Canadian-themed revision by Bob and Doug McKenzie (a/k/a Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas) on their album “The Great White North.” I purchased a copy in late 1983 to play this at the roller rink where I deejayed. However, the manager told me to stop the record because he didn’t want children hearing its frequent references to “beer.” A former co-worker then suggested I play “Take Off” from the same album and dedicate it to my boss. Not wanting to jeopardize my job, I didn’t do that but ended up resigning the following month.

Do They Know It's Christmas- I liked this song because it had a more modern sound than the usual holiday fare. It was first recorded in 1984 by a conglomerate of mostly British musicians who called themselves Band Aid (remakes have come out since then). Its purpose was to raise money for famine relief in Ethiopia. That inspired the much bigger hit “We Are the World” by USA for Africa, which came out a few weeks later.

Blue Christmas” - This holiday classic was made famous by Elvis Presley and also featured in “A Year Without a Santa Claus.” Years later, I heard on the radio this version of someone calling himself Seymour Swine. He pretends to be Porky Pig singing with his famous stutter.

Mary, Did You Know? - Three days after leading my mother to the Lord on “doomsday,” I saw her again at an assisted living facility. It would be the last time we spent the holidays together. I had just gotten my first smartphone and asked Mom if there was a particular song she wanted to hear. She specifically asked for this one. Christian comedian/singer Mark Lowry originally wrote the lyrics in 1984. It has since become a modern Christmas classic, recorded by hundreds of artists across multiple genres.

Another song I could include on this list (believe it or not) is “Happy Birthday.” When I used to get together with my mother’s side of the family on Christmas Eve, one of my aunts insisted we sing this to Jesus before we opened presents. Regardless of which Christmas songs are your favorites, let’s always remember Who we are celebrating this holiday. 


“For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” - Isaiah 9:6


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?