In Remembrance of Scooby a/k/a Seal Dog

All my life I’ve been a cat lover but in recent years developed an increasing appreciation for dogs. One in particular that I grew fond of recently passed away.

When I first stayed with my friend Lorvin in 2013, he had two beagles named Rocky and Scooby. I noticed Scooby’s bark sounded like a seal. So we started calling him Seal Dog. I never got tired of hearing his “seal squeal.” Scooby wagged his tail while barking and howling for me. I believe he enjoyed the extra attention. Rocky usually wouldn’t bark when I tried getting him to do so. Seal Dog always responded instead.


Lorvin got the idea of turning Scooby into a superhero. He ordered a Superman outfit for dogs since the “S” could also stand for Seal Dog. An Underdog outfit was ordered for Rocky who I nicknamed Überdog. Just for fun, I created videos of these characters. One of them was for a song I composed. “Seal Dog Theme” got played on the Dr. Demento radio show. Later when Lorvin got married, his wife Tanya insisted on getting a female dog. Dolly soon became “Wonder Woofer” wearing a miniature Wonder Woman outfit.


I filmed additional videos of Scooby squealing, but preferred hearing the real deal. It became harder for him to do that during the latter years of his life. Lorvin called me last Wednesday requesting prayer for Scooby who wasn’t doing well physically. Although I asked the Lord to extend Scooby’s life, I perceived he wouldn’t be around much longer. The next morning, I received a text from Tanya informing me Scooby died of a heart attack while in the emergency room. He was 16 years old, which is a long life for dogs. Some would say that is the equivalent of 112 human years.


Seal Dog will be missed but not forgotten. Perhaps someday I will hear him squealing again in heaven.


“Your righteousness is like the great mountains; Your judgments are a great deep; O Lord, You preserve man and beast.” - Psalm 36:6

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?