What Will We Do in Heaven?


Now that the World Health Organization has declared the COVID-19 health emergency over, Jehovah’s Witnesses are again standing around with their portable displays of literature. During my recent train travels, I saw two JWs near Chicago's Union Station. When I approached them, one of them asked, “How are you doing?” 

I gave my usual answer, “Saved and on my way to heaven. How about you?”


One of the Jehovah’s Witnesses eventually asked, “What will you do in heaven?” That initially stumped me, but I soon replied we would be serving the Lord. She later answered her question by mentioning the Bible says we are “kings and priests” (Revelation 1:6). Both JWs tried telling me good works were necessary for salvation. I shared with them a couple of Biblical truths that contradict Watchtower doctrines.


Nevertheless, the conversation had me thinking about what we will do in heaven. Some believe we will fly around wearing wings for eons. That erroneous idea came from what Jesus said in Matthew 22:30, “For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels of God in heaven.” That verse describes men and women not getting married in eternity. Men do not become angels after death.


In the Lord’s prayer, Jesus prayed, “Your kingdom come. Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.” (Matthew 6:10) God created the earth as a twin to His home in heaven. Therefore, it would make sense there are similarities between the two. For example, the Bible condemns laziness on earth (Proverbs 6:6, 15:19). Therefore, there will be a purpose for us in heaven.


In his book “Close Encounters of the God Kind”, Jesse Duplantis described his trip to heaven in 1988. Jesse calls it a planet with valleys, mountains, and streams of water like on Earth. At one point, Jesse walked down a street with beautiful block mansions where the Old Testament prophets reside. He also saw a mansion as his future home. The book mentioned everyone serving one another.


Roberts Liardon testifies of having a brief visit to heaven when he was eight years old. Here are portions from his book “I Saw Heaven”:


“We passed towns, buildings, and little offices. The buildings were for whatever ‘business’ or interaction that takes place in heaven. I saw people coming and going, and they were all smiling...I do not believe there is an exchange of money, but people were going in and out of those buildings to get things. I saw a woman walk into one place with a little bundle of goods of some kind and walk out with a book.”


“Soon I saw a huge building resembling a convention center here on earth. Thousands of saints were going into it. The building had a glowing circle around it…Praising God is going to be a large part of our lives when we get to heaven.”


Contrary to the old Belinda Carlisle song, heaven is not a place on earth. It’s a dwelling where God is and wants us to live as well. Revelation 19:9 mentions an upcoming party there. The marriage supper of the Lamb will be a celebration with past and present saints. I hope to see you there.


“to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you” - 1 Peter 1:4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?