Christ Loves His Church

One thing I get tired of seeing on social media is critical posts about the current state of the church. I’ve often seen memes claiming, “If Paul could see the church in America today, we’d be getting a letter.” That reminds me of this quote from Charles Spurgeon: “The church is not perfect, but woe to the man who finds pleasure in pointing out her imperfections! Christ loved his church, and let us do the same.”

Spurgeon went on to say, “I have no doubt that the Lord can see more fault in his church than I can; and I have equal confidence that he sees no fault at all. Because he covers her faults with his own love-that love which covers a multitude of sins; and he removes all her defilement with that precious blood which washes away all the transgressions of his people.”


The church is often called the bride of Christ. How would you feel if someone criticized your spouse or significant other? You would take that personally. During the Damascus Road experience, the Lord asked Paul (then known as Saul), “…why are you persecuting Me?” (Acts 9:4)


Despite our problems, I’m thankful for the good churches in this country. Remember that in the letters to the seven churches in Revelation chapters 2 and 3, two didn’t receive a rebuke. Still, I often meet people who have given up on church because they haven’t found the right one. Here’s a poem I found online called “The Perfect Church” (which I also made into a YouTube video):


I think that I shall never see

A church that's all it ought to be;

A church whose members never stray 

Beyond the straight and narrow way;

A church that has no empty pews

Whose preacher never has the blues;

A church whose deacons always "deak" 

And none is proud and all are meek, 

Where gossips never peddle lies 

Or make complaints or criticize;

Where all are always sweet and kind 

And all to others' faults are blind.

Such perfect churches there may be, 

But none of them are known to me.

But still we'll work and pray and plan 

To make this one the best we can.


God uses imperfect people to carry out His perfect plan. Part of that plan is to assemble consistently with other believers (Hebrews 10:25). So instead of looking for the perfect church, find the one He has called you to (1 Corinthians 12:18) and then look at the fellowship as the Lord does. 


“Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her” - Ephesians 5:25


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?