Tests on the Train


During the last couple of years, I’ve mostly traveled the United States by train due to Southwest Airlines adding baggage fees, and airports requiring a REAL ID (unless one is willing to pay an extra $45 per flight). One advantage to using Amtrak is you can have up to five pieces of luggage for free when going in between stations that check bags. At the time of this writing, I’m using another USA Rail Pass

One downside of Amtrak is that their trains are frequently late. This past Monday, I was supposed to leave Saint Paul, Minnesota before 9 a.m. My train arrived over four hours later. As a result, I missed a connecting train going from Chicago to New Orleans (an Amtrak route I hadn’t taken before). That meant having to readjust my schedule. 


Another inconvenience was the malfunctioning air conditioning on my train, which made me sweat in my seat for most of the journey. To add to my woes, my cell phone carrier went out of service for several hours. This was due to a nationwide network outage. In the meantime, I managed to stay productive doing work on my laptop that didn’t require Internet access. Eventually, I moved to the observation car, which was less humid. A woman sitting near me offered use of her hotspot, which allowed me to send messages and download documents. During that time, the dining car provided complimentary bowls of beef stew to passengers. Earlier, Amtrak offered snacks often made available when their trains are running late.


Around 9:00 p.m., cell phone service for me started working again. That allowed me to exchange messages with a friend in Rockford, Illinois. He had offered hospitality if I took a local train from Chicago to Elgin and met him there. We later decided against that idea since he had to work early in the morning, plus my train’s ETA kept getting delayed. I had thoughts of staying in a downtown hostel for the night instead of paying for an overpriced hotel room.


The train finally arrived in Chicago’s Union Station around 10:30. When I got to baggage claim, I discovered their counter was closed for the night. I got upset thinking I’d have to keep all my bags with me during the night. Fortunately, Amtrak announced they would provide hotel rooms for passengers with missed connections. My name was one of the first called. I got to check in my two largest bags after all. Still, I had to wait for everyone to get on a bus that took us to the Sleep Inn near the Midway Airport. At the hotel, those with disabilities and families were given rooms first. As a result, I didn’t get to sleep until around 1:00 a.m., but it was worth the wait. The bed was really comfortable. A free continental breakfast was available in the morning. 


Amtrak had also given everyone a $15 voucher to use in the food court at Union Station. After the bus brought us back there, I noticed a beggar asking numerous passengers for money. One person handed him a few dollars, but he continued to beg. Although the beggar seemed a bit pushy, I was willing to minister to him after retrieving my carryon bag from underneath the bus and ensuring my checked baggage was re-tagged for Houston. Later, I went outside to look for the beggar, but I couldn’t find him. So, I used the voucher to get lunch at Chick-fil-A. After I finished eating, that beggar approached me. I told him, “I don’t have any money for you,” but offered him some snacks. However, he insisted that I buy him food at a particular restaurant. I walked away. It’s been my experience that aggressive panhandlers are difficult to help.


Instead of going to New Orleans as originally planned, I first rode a train to Longview, Texas and then a Thruway bus to Houston. One benefit to that was I didn’t have to pay for overnight lodging along the way. Additional blessings manifested during a stopover in Nacogdoches. Figuring I’ll eat at Whataburger more while in Texas, I downloaded their app on my iPhone. A free burger was available for the first order. I also wanted a coffee but didn’t see that listed on the Whataburger menu. So I got one at the convenience store next door. The cashier gave that to me for free.


Even in America, inconveniences sometimes happen when using public transportation. Nevertheless, I’ve learned to be flexible and enjoy the blessings God provides along the way.


“And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.” - Romans 8:28

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Looking Back @ the Toronto Blessing

The Gospel Soul Winning Script