It Pays to Be Happy

2 Timothy 4:2 tells us to "be ready in season and out of season." Yesterday morning I had an opportunity to minister on the joy of the Lord to an audience at the Charlotte airport. When I arrived at my departure gate, an employee announced on the intercom he was offering free business class upgrades to anyone who would sing a song with "happy" in its title. Initially I thought of songs like "Happy Birthday", "Don't Worry, Be Happy", and "Happy Together." (Keep in mind I used to be a nightclub disc jockey). One man went up first and sang the old children's song "If You're Happy and You Know It."

When the employee asked for another volunteer, I quickly raised my hand and then with my laptop computer played "The Happy Song" by Delirious and tried to sing along. Because I didn't have all the lyrics memorized, the employee insisted I dance around instead. So I did a brief jig and then told everyone watching me, "If you really want to be happy, invite Jesus into your heart. The Bible says, 'In His presence is fullness of joy.'" One young man filmed me with his camera phone and I briefly witnessed to him and other men sitting nearby.

As a result of my song and dance, I was reassigned to seat A1 for my flight to BWI airport near Washington, DC. It was the very first time I ever sat in business class on a flight. I was blessed with numerous free drinks and snacks. Although alcoholic beverages were complimentary for first class passengers, I didn't consider ordering any since I drink a better alternative...the new wine of the Holy Spirit.

"Happy are the people who are in such a state; Happy are the people whose God is the LORD!"
 - Psalm 144:15

Comments

Unknown said…
Huh! Thats amazing-I think I'll do that for when I go to Africa!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Is That Gold Dust Real?

Toking the Ghost Revisited