Don't Jump to Conclusions

Many times before publishing a new article in my blog or newsletter, I’ll share it with a friend to get their feedback. I always want to be sure my writings are accurate and don’t mislead people. It annoys me when someone starts making suggestions before reading the whole thing. Often their concerns are addressed later in my article.

Ministers constantly face scrutiny like this. Religious watchdogs habitually take sound bites of well-known preachers they don't like and attempt to expose them. Sometimes it's made to appear these preachers said things they really didn’t mean. A recent example of this involved Victoria Osteen, who co-pastors Lakewood Church in Houston along with her husband Joel. A few of my Facebook friends posted a short video clip of Victoria making comments about worship that upset many Christians (some versions of this include an added "rebuke" by Bill Cosby)...

.

Eventually, Victoria issued a response saying, "I did not mean to imply that we don't worship God."

1 Corinthians 13:7 in the Amplified Bible says, “Love bears up under anything and everything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person.” While I don’t agree with everything said by the Osteens, I'm glad to see Victoria clarified her remarks. Regardless of whether a minister issues a retraction, heresy hunters should focus more on managing their own lives instead of trying to manage those who are doing something with their calling.

Someone once said, “In the absence of information, we jump to the worst conclusions.” Before we are quick to pass judgment on others, let’s take time to listen and give them the benefit of the doubt. 

“He who answers a matter before he hears it, it is folly and shame to him.” - Proverbs 18:13 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?