A Eulogy for My Mom

Carolyn Mae Tweiten was born on March 28, 1946. She was the second of five children who grew up in a carpenter’s family in Fargo, North Dakota. In 1963 at the age of 17, Carolyn married Richard Post and gave birth to me the following year. My sister Tanya followed a couple of years later. Because Mom loved animals, there were often one or two dogs plus an occasional cat in the household. She was also a teddy bear fanatic. That made it easy to pick out gifts for Christmas and her birthday.

Carolyn had grown up with a violent alcoholic father. Therefore, she did her best to make sure Tanya and I had a stable environment at home. Mom often played along with various games my sister and me did. A few Saturday mornings, we played school with me being the teacher. Occasionally Mom would knock on my bedroom door saying Tanya needed to be “excused from class” so she could clean her room or do something else.

As we got older, Mom worked outside the house more. One of her jobs was a sales representative for a candy company. Tanya and I got to enjoy a lot of free samples. Another thing I appreciated about my mother was her sense of humor. Whenever Tanya and I did something naughty but wouldn’t fess up, Mom sarcastically declared, “Ol’ Tom is at it again!” (Tom was my imaginary twin brother.) A few years ago while finishing a phone conversation, I told Mom I would “keep her posted” on my happenings. She replied, “Don’t take our name in vain.”

I wasn’t fond of the traditional Lutheran church we attended when my sister and I were little. Still, my mother made sure we said our prayers before going to sleep. If there was a thunderstorm outside, Mom told us God’s angels were bowling (the loudest claps of thunder meant they got a strike). She happened to be an avid bowler and watched the "Pro Bowler's Tour" on TV.

Football was another sport my mother enjoyed. We spent many Sundays watching the Minnesota Vikings on TV. Mom got more emotional about the games than I did. She would jump off the couch and yell at the players while nearly knocking me over in the process. 

Like with my father, Mom and I had spiritual differences after I became born again. She had started watching Dr. Robert Schuller’s “Hour of Power” on TV and gradually drifted into New Age beliefs. Then in the fall of 2012, Mom had a stroke and was moved into an assisted living facility. A few weeks later I returned to Fargo for the holidays. One afternoon (which happened to be “doomsday”), I stopped to see Mom. After we talked for a while, she let me lay hands on her to receive healing. Then I asked if I could lead her in a prayer to receive Jesus Christ as her Lord and Savior. She agreed and prayed the sinner’s prayer with me.

Mom’s health slightly improved but still remained in hospice for the rest of her life. The last time I saw my mother, I wanted to entertain her somehow. I got out my smartphone and on YouTube played an old comedy routine by Jack Webb and Johnny Carson that we watched years before on “The Tonight Show.” Mom really enjoyed that.

When my dad passed away last month, I perceived Mom would soon do the same (“January” kept coming up in my spirit). Yesterday I was informed she had gone home to be with the Lord. Carolyn Post was 71.

It’s not easy when a close relative dies. However, as Christians, we have the Holy Spirit to comfort us and experience supernatural peace especially if our deceased loved ones were saved. Someday we will be reunited at the Marriage Supper of the Lamb. So in the meantime, keep praying and sharing God's love if you still have lost family members.

“Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household.” 
- Acts 16:31

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?