Guys (and Gals) in Disguise

(Family Worship Center Churches)

Every October, I read and hear various rants from Christians against observing Halloween. Certainly, I don’t celebrate the holiday with its demonic connotations. 1 Thessalonians 5:22 (KJV) commands us to “Abstain from all appearance of evil.” For me, it’s another day to share the gospel. Yesterday I passed out tracts before, during, and after a Halloween parade along with a few other soul winners. I got to lead 27 people to receive salvation.

One part of Halloween I’ve always liked is seeing the costumes people create. Of course, I disapprove of the scary-looking outfits many individuals wear. But if I were raising children, I wouldn’t mind them going to a “Hallelujah Party” or an alternative family-friendly gathering. Growing up, I remember having fun dressing up as somebody else. A few years ago, I made myself look like Jesus to reach out to trick-or-treaters.


Some costumes are labeled as disguises, which the dictionary defines as “give (someone or oneself) a different appearance to conceal one’s identity.” While employed at a roller rink during the 1980s, one of my co-workers paid to get in on Halloween wearing a Spider-Man outfit. He even borrowed a pair of rental skates instead of using his own. It took a while before we realized who this guy was. Disguises can be used for good such as a spy obtaining information to reveal plots from foreign enemies.


Disguises are in the Bible. In Genesis 27, Jacob wore animal skins while pretending he was Esau to steal his brother’s blessing from their father. In chapter 38, Tamar covered herself with a veil so that her father-in-law Judah thought she was a harlot. Four chapters later, Joseph disguised himself in front of his brothers and spoke harshly to them but later told them his true identity. 


Some disguises are spiritual. Jesus told us in Matthew 7:15, “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves.” 2 Corinthians 11:14 (ESV) warns that “…Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.” The next verse says, “…his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness.”


Fortunately, the Spirit of God can help us see through people’s deceptions. In 1 Kings 14, King Jeroboam told his wife to disguise herself and go see Ahijah. The Lord warned the prophet of this in advance. Verse 6 says that when Ahijah heard the sound of her footsteps, he said, “Come in, wife of Jeroboam. Why do you pretend to be another person?”


One man I witnessed to yesterday was dressed as a Ghostbuster. I told him my Best Friend is a ghost…the Holy Ghost. He knew I was going to talk about Jesus and walked away. Hopefully, he will get saved before it’s too late. People won’t be able to hide behind disguises when they stand before His throne to give an account of their lives. 


“For God will bring every work into judgment, including every secret thing, whether good or evil.” - Ecclesiastes 12:14

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?