Not a Tragic Error

Two days ago, the U.S. Supreme Court made a 6-3 decision to overturn the controversial Roe v. Wade ruling in 1973. That doesn’t outlaw abortion in this nation but will make it more difficult in states that decide to ban it altogether. In my birthplace of Fargo, North Dakota, the state’s only abortion clinic has already made plans to move across the Red River to Moorhead, Minnesota.

While I haven’t been as passionate about pro-life causes as some of my friends, I applaud the Supreme Court’s decision. Abortion not only terminates the lives of unborn children but scars the lives of women who get one. Nevertheless, numerous celebrities are speaking out against this decision. Some individuals have responded with violence.


What’s tragic is how political figures are reacting. Joe Biden (a professing Catholic) called the Supreme Court’s decision “a tragic error.” Former First Lady Michelle Obama said she’s “heartbroken.” Hillary Clinton borrowed a phrase from Franklin Roosevelt by saying the decision “…will live in infamy as a step backward for women’s rights, and human rights.” On the contrary. Unborn children are human and have a right to live. 


Attorney General Merrick Garland said the Justice Department will continue to work to “protect and advance reproductive freedom.” I agree with reproductive freedom. Women are free to produce children but should not be free to kill them...born and unborn.


U. S. Senator Raphael Warnock from Georgia calls himself “a pro-choice pastor.” He declared, "Women must be able to make their own health care decisions, not politicians.” Abortion is not health care. I wish he would read Jeremiah 1:5, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; Before you were born I sanctified you.” Psalm 139:13 (NIV) says, “For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.” Warnock should also remember John the Baptist recognized the Messiah while both were in their respective mothers wombs (Luke 1:41).


If you happen to be an unmarried woman facing an unplanned pregnancy, there is an alternative to the millions of unborn children murdered over the last five decades. You can give your baby up for adoption. That would be a blessing to families who want but cannot conceive a child. Choosing adoption is choosing life.


“I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live.” - Deuteronomy 30:19

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Is That Gold Dust Real?

Toking the Ghost Revisited