Why I Usually Avoid Door-to-Door Evangelism

Some Christians are reluctant to share the gospel because they think it involves going door to door (as Jehovah’s Witnesses and Mormons are well known for). Unless the Lord directs me to somebody’s house, I avoid this type of evangelism. Usually, I find more receptive people in public places.

Nevertheless, I have gone out with a few door-knocking ministries. Twenty years ago, I attended a church in Northern Virginia that went to townhouse complexes on Saturday mornings and knocked on one door at a time. They were okay with me talking to people walking around or standing outside. I always had more salvations than everyone else who knocked on doors. 


Another time in Tennessee, I went with a church doing door-to-door ministry at a newer apartment complex. Because it was a weekday afternoon, most residents were probably away at work. I was also in a group of five people (evangelism works better in pairs or three people max). A man in my group named Lee encouraged me to knock on one particular door. A young woman named Ellen answered and prayed to receive salvation. After we went to another housing complex, Lee and I became a duo. He was okay with me talking to people outside instead of door-knocking. Six salvations resulted. That included a mother and her son sitting outside their home.


Now when strangers come knocking on my door, they become evangelism opportunities. Once I was at home about to have dinner with a friend when a vacuum cleaner salesman showed up. As I witnessed to him, I discovered that this man used to be in the ministry. Abuse from spiritual authority figures prompted him to back off from his calling. Fortunately, he was willing to pray with me and recommit his life to the Lord. We also prayed that God would lead him to the right church and restore his ministry. 


Another time, I was hanging out at a friend’s house when a Cub Scout and his mother knocked on the door. They were collecting cans of food. While my friend went into the kitchen to find something to donate, I ministered the gospel to the two. Both of them prayed to receive salvation.


A few months ago, a young man promoting a home improvement business stopped by the house I was staying at. I told him the homeowner wasn’t around and eventually asked for a flyer. That was after I ministered to Justin, who said he’s Catholic and thought being baptized made him a Christian. He thanked me after praying to get saved, receiving a gospel of John, and a pen from the church I attended.


I don’t want to discourage those of you who feel led by the Lord to do door-to-door evangelism. Some ministers have success reaching people that way. Once I read about an elderly woman who came close to hanging herself. She was interrupted when a boy knocked on her door and offered a gospel tract. She read it and got saved. 


Regardless of how you evangelize, the important thing is to get out there and fulfill the Great Commission.


“Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.” - Luke 14:23

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?