A Great Misunderstanding?

During the 1990s, I attended a Word of Faith church and grew to appreciate many preachers associated with that stream of ministry. Atlanta-based pastor Creflo Dollar wasn’t among my favorites, but I listened to him occasionally through various media platforms. Once I visited another church where he was the guest speaker and enjoyed his message. Creflo talked about how the use of certain words has changed. He pointed out that calling someone a dog used to be an insult. Now homies greet their buddies, “What’s up, dog?”

I was shocked when learning of Pastor Dollar’s recent recantation of tithing. My Facebook newsfeed has been full of reactions to that, both positive and negative. Previously, Creflo received flak for an aborted fundraising campaign to buy a better jet. Instead of prejudging him, I took the time to listen to his message, “The Great Misunderstanding.” One part I agreed with is that our giving should come from the heart and not out of fear of being cursed.


However, Creflo claimed tithing is “an Old Testament law” and “Paul didn’t mention the t-word.” That reminded me of how homosexuals justify their behavior by claiming Jesus didn’t say anything against same-sex relationships. The seventh chapter of Hebrews mentions tithing and is in the New Testament. Many Bible scholars attribute that book to the Apostle Paul. Also, Creflo said the percentage of a believer’s tithe should depend on their financial situation. That’s an erroneous statement. The word tithe means “one-tenth.”


Some of my friends claim they are blessed without tithing and are “led by the Lord” in their giving. I believe that’s possible if they regularly give over 10% of their pretax income. However, if their total giving amounts to less than 10%, then I doubt they are hearing the voice of the Holy Spirit. It would also explain why they might feel uncomfortable hearing sermons on prosperity and despise believers who are generous with their finances.


Then some say “God owns 100%” because we are stewards of our earthly possessions. That could be a cop-out if these 100 percenters are not willing to sell everything they own and give to the poor like what Jesus asked of the rich young ruler in Matthew 19:21. I’m not talking about just emptying your wallet during an offering but getting rid of ALL your stuff. One minister I’m aware of doing that was Lester Sumrall. On seven different occasions, Lester left behind everything he owned (except the clothes he was wearing) before traveling to his next destination.


I’ve been a faithful and willing tither for 31 years and have no regrets. Although I want to believe the best about Creflo Dollar, I’m less likely to listen to him again. I’m not branding the pastor a heretic, but his change of doctrine doesn’t change my belief in tithing like Carlton Pearson didn’t change my belief in hell.


“that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting” - Ephesians 4:14


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?