Pledges of Allegiance

I was born in Fargo, North Dakota and raised across the river in Moorhead, Minnesota. Years later, I would appreciate the conservative values instilled in me and still shared by many F-M residents. Unfortunately, a growing number there are promoting ungodly ideas. I remember the ruckus caused by then-Fargo mayor Jon Lindgren proclaiming the area’s first “Gay Pride Week” in 1984. It’s since become an annual event. During return visits to my birthplace, it grieved me to see rainbow flags hanging on lampposts and pride parades marching downtown. 

North Dakota’s largest city recently made news for another ungodly purpose. On August 9th, the Fargo School Board voted 7-2 to nix reciting the Pledge of Allegiance before each meeting (that decision didn’t apply to classes). The phrase “under God” supposedly didn’t align with the district’s values. The resulting backlash prompted the board to reinstate the Pledge of Allegiance a few days later by an 8-1 vote.


Like the Lord’s Prayer and the Apostle’s Creed, the Pledge of Allegiance didn’t mean all that much to me growing up. It was a recitation my teachers taught me to say. I recall watching an old film about the Pledge while in second grade and noticed “under God” wasn’t mentioned. That’s because the phrase was added in 1954 (after the movie was made). The Pledge of Allegiance had been revised other times since its introduction in 1892. The original went like this…


“I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”


In 1940, the Supreme Court ruled in favor of students reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools. Jehovah’s Witnesses have opposed that and saluting the flag because they consider those things idolatry. It was also during the 1940s the hand over the heart gesture was introduced. Children previously practiced the Bellamy salute, in which they held out their hands to the flag. That got changed because it resembled the Nazi salute.


One dictionary defines pledge as “a solemn promise or undertaking.” People make pledges to what they consider good causes such as cancer research. However, the Bible has warnings against ungodly pledges. Proverbs 22:26 says, “Do not be one of those who shakes hands in a pledge, one of those who is surety for debts.”


I have no problem pledging allegiance to the American flag. Despite our country’s growing problems, I’m thankful for the prosperity and individual freedoms we still have here. Ultimately the highest pledge one should make is to Jesus Christ. In 1994, Christian singer Ray Boltz released a song called “I Pledge Allegiance to the Lamb.” The chorus goes like this…


I pledge allegiance to the Lamb

With all my strength

With all I am

I will seek to honor His commands

I pledge allegiance to the Lamb


Sadly, Ray has since become a homosexual, entered into a same-sex “marriage”, and now plays music in churches affirming alternative lifestyles. I pray that Ray and other apostates will renew their pledges to the Lamb.


“If you love Me, keep My commandments.” - John 14:15


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?