Malling the Devil


The reason I don’t evangelize more in shopping centers is preferring the freedom to hand out tracts. Because malls are “private property”, the distribution of literature is usually forbidden. Even if tracts aren’t given out, mall employees try to stop Christians from sharing the gospel because they consider that “soliciting.”

Jesus said in Mark 16:15, “Go into ALL the world and preach the gospel to every creature.” That includes the largest shopping center in the United States. The Mall of America near the Minneapolis airport attracts visitors from many states and countries. Therefore, it’s a ripe harvest field. I’ve ministered there numerous times with a local church, especially when the weather wasn’t cooperative.


My friend Bob Lutsey (nicknamed “the Maller”) frequently goes to the MOA and leads countless numbers of people to Jesus. However, it’s resulted in occasional conflicts with security personnel. Bob has gotten kicked out a few times, but he still goes back there to obey the Great Commission.


Another evangelist recently had a confrontation with mall security that went viral. Paul Shoro is an Ethiopian-born street preacher who wore a shirt with “Jesus saves” printed on the front. The back had the “Coexist” logo crossed out along with the words “Jesus is the only way.” Security guards repeatedly told Paul to take his shirt off or leave because it was a “solicitation” that “offended” people. Paul pointed out he wasn’t verbally preaching to anyone.


The accusation of Paul soliciting is ridiculous. Sports fans wear clothing advertising their favorite teams. Why aren’t they called "solicitations"? When walking around a mall, I often see people wearing apparel that’s offensive to me. Heavy metal fans wear T-shirts of bands using satanic imagery. Gay activists wear rainbow-colored stuff endorsing “pride” in their deviant lifestyles. Rather than making a big fuss, I choose to ignore them.


One time in Fargo, North Dakota, I walked toward Best Buy to return a camcorder purchased two days before. Standing outside the store were four college-aged men. I felt led to witness to them. All four eventually prayed to receive salvation. Meanwhile, a manager stood beside me and complained that someone “felt uncomfortable” with me ministering. I hadn’t witnessed to anyone else there! I showed the manager my camcorder and receipt to prove I was at Best Buy for business reasons.


The manager then told me, “We don’t allow soliciting here.” I pointed out the U. S. Supreme Court has ruled that one-on-one evangelism is not soliciting as long as you don’t ask people for money. All I did was lead four men to Jesus so they won’t spend eternity in hell. Then I closed the conversation by telling the manager that Jesus loved her. Minutes later, I ran into two of the men in the bathroom at a nearby shopping center. That allowed me to minister to them more without interference from the Best Buy manager.


In describing the last days, Jesus said in Matthew 24:10, “And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.” No matter how you present the gospel, they will be those who are easily offended. Nevertheless, believers in Minnesota are planning a gathering at the mall on February 4th with everyone wearing Jesus shirts. More Christians need to be bold in telling sinners the truth.


“Iʼd rather have people hate me with the knowledge that I tried to save them.” - Keith Green

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?