Too Much Church?

Because of the unseasonably cold weather in Tampa last Sunday, I considered skipping church. I didn’t want to freeze sitting in a chilly pavilion where The River often has services. Then again, diehard football fans go to games in much colder weather. So I bundled up and obeyed Hebrews 10:25, “not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together…” After I wrote about that on my Facebook page, one friend complained about churches that closed on Christmas Day. He thought they ignored their first love (Revelation 2:4) by putting their families ahead of God.

My former home church in Minnesota has a Saturday night service in addition to two Sunday morning services. If I remember correctly, the pastor canceled Sunday services on one Christmas Day. He felt it was important for families to spend that time together. Another church I used to attend usually meets on Sunday morning and evening. Their pastor sometimes cancels the evening service when it’s a holiday such as Easter or Father’s Day.


Sometimes God has directed me not to attend a service to have personal time with Him or do something else. I feel “overloaded” if I sit in too many meetings. I need to be giving out God's love.


Once I went to a Benny Hinn Miracle Crusade in Washington, DC. While I waited in line for the Thursday night meeting, a man introduced me to two people he invited. One of them was an unsaved woman named Joy. Early in the service, I saw Joy walk out. I started sensing I would also be leaving early. Before Benny was about to preach, I stepped out into the hallway. There I saw Joy sitting up against a wall. Immediately, I knew this was a set-up by the Lord. I ministered to Joy for about an hour. She got born again and filled with the Holy Spirit! 


The next day, I attended Benny’s morning teaching. Later when I got in line for the evening service, I had that overloaded feeling again. While walking back to the house I stayed at, I noticed five kids riding their bicycles by the Capitol building. As I started witnessing to one of them, the other four gathered to listen. All five prayed to receive Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. When I got home, I strongly felt the presence of God upon me. I knew my steps were ordered by Him (Psalm 37:23).


I used to go to numerous Christian conferences, but eventually cut back on that. Sitting in meeting after meeting does not automatically produce spiritual growth. I know a pastor's wife who once had a vision of 500-pound canaries sitting in church pews. Their beaks were open like they were saying, “Feed me!” Many believers today get fat on the word but hardly do anything with it. Jesus said, “Go ye.” He didn’t say, “Sit ye.”


Yes, we should attend church regularly. However, it shouldn't be an excuse to shirk family responsibilities or a substitute for obeying the Great Commission.


“But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.” - James 1:22

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?