Will the Real Jesus Please Stand Up?
Sometimes while evangelizing, you meet people with weird ideas about Jesus Christ. Two days ago, I witnessed to a man standing by his stalled car. He wore a cap indicating he was an Air Force veteran. So I thanked him for his service. Then I handed him a gospel tract after saying, “I used to be in the army. Now I’m in the army of the Lord.” We talked for a couple of minutes. During which, this man claimed there were three Jesuses in the Bible. I wanted to warn him about following another Jesus (2 Corinthians 11:4). By this time, a state trooper arrived and offered to push this man’s car off the main road. I took that as a sign it was time for me to leave.
That incident reminded me of a television program called “To Tell the Truth.” Four celebrity panelists are introduced to three contestants claiming to be the same person. The panelists then ask them questions to determine which contestant is the genuine article. The host eventually asks, “Will the real so-and-so please stand up?”
What if Jesus appeared on “To Tell the Truth” with two imposters? Would you be able to discern the real One? You could do so by knowing what Scripture says about Him:
- The real Jesus will tell you He is the only way to heaven. (John 14:6)
- The real Jesus will forgive you but then say, “Go and sin no more.” (John 8:11)
- The real Jesus will have nail prints in His hands and feet. (John 20:24-29)
- The real Jesus will multiply loaves and fishes. (Matthew 14:13–21; 15:32–39)
- The real Jesus will walk on water. (Matthew 14:22-33)
- The real Jesus will cast out devils, heal the sick, and encourage His followers to do the same in His name. (Mark 16:15-20)
Jesus warned of false Christs in the last days. Make sure you are in a relationship with the real One.
“Take heed that no one deceives you. For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many.” -- Matthew 24:4-5