Pray for Your President


During the history of America, four presidents were assassinated. One of which happened on this day in 1881. James Garfield got shot inside a railroad station where the National Gallery of Art now sits. I’ve walked by there during my numerous visits to Washington, DC.

I’ve been to the other spots where an assassin’s bullet struck the president. Abraham Lincoln got gunned down in DC at Ford’s Theater. I went in there once to explore a museum honoring Lincoln. Last year in Buffalo, New York, I visited a monument marking the spot where William McKinley got shot. A few years before in Dallas, I walked through the Dealey Plaza area where a sniper killed John F. Kennedy. Three other presidents have died in office due to health issues.


The United States currently has a man I’ve been reluctant to label as my president. Because of his declining mental state, many Americans are concerned about Joe Biden’s capability to serve in the White House. I don’t believe he legitimately won the 2020 election. However, I’m still obligated to pray for Biden since he occupies the Oval Office. It reminds me of how Kenneth Copeland despised one president for his policies until the Lord confronted him about that:


“You know Lyndon Johnson?”

“No, Sir.”

“You know anybody that knows him?”

“No, Sir.”

“Sounds to Me like you don't know much.”


The Lord then reminded Brother Copeland of 1 Timothy 2:


1 Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, 

2 for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. 

For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 

who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.


Copeland felt convicted to pray in the Spirit for the president rather than gripe about him. As a result, he felt both his love for God and the president grow.


It’s worth noting the Apostle Paul wrote his epistles while tyrants ruled the Roman Empire. I’m sure it was difficult for Christians who lived under the regimes of Hitler and Stalin to pray for those dictators. Nevertheless, prayer can change things. Nebuchadnezzar got transformed. Why not your nation’s leaders?


“The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, like the rivers of water; He turns it wherever He wishes.” - Proverbs 21:1


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?