A Place Called There


Sometimes I’ve ministered to homeless people who told they were forced onto the streets because of moving to take on a job that didn’t work out. In response, I testify about the time I got stranded in Pittsburgh and spent the night in a homeless shelter. The next morning, a man I met in a church offered to let me stay with him for a few days. Two days later, a friend offered to wire me money to buy a bus ticket. That allowed me to travel to a friend's place in Minneapolis. Had I insisted on staying in Pittsburgh, I might have found myself back on the streets.

I share that story for three reasons. First, I know what it’s like to suddenly not have a roof over my head, but God’s been faithful to provide. What He’s for me, He can do for them. “...God is no respecter of persons.” (Acts 10:34 KJV)


Second, God often uses other Christians to bless His people. Where will you find believers gathered together? In the house of the Lord. I encourage the homeless to get plugged into a church. That gives Him more channels to work through. The pastor will likely have housing connections.


Last but not least, we need to be where God wants us. That’s where His provision is available. Look at this example in 1 Kings 17:


1 And Elijah the Tishbite, of the inhabitants of Gilead, said to Ahab, “As the Lord God of Israel lives, before whom I stand, there shall not be dew nor rain these years, except at my word.”

Then the word of the Lord came to him, saying, 

“Get away from here and turn eastward, and hide by the Brook Cherith, which flows into the Jordan. 

And it will be that you shall drink from the brook, and I have commanded the ravens to feed you there.”

So he went and did according to the word of the Lord, for he went and stayed by the Brook Cherith, which flows into the Jordan. 

The ravens brought him bread and meat in the morning, and bread and meat in the evening; and he drank from the brook. 


Now look at the next two verses 7 and 8:


7 And it happened after a while that the brook dried up, because there had been no rain in the land.

8 Then the LORD said to Elijah, “Go and live in the village of Zarephath, near the city of Sidon. I have instructed a widow there to feed you.”


Had Elijah remained by the brook, he would have died of thirst. We can also assume the ravens stopped bringing food to him. By nature, ravens are scavenger birds.


As a traveling missionary, my place called “there” regularly changes. Therefore, it’s important for me to be in the right place at the right time. Three years ago, I spent part of the winter in San Antonio but prepared to return to Virginia in February 2021. I almost bought a plane ticket to leave for Washington DC on the 16th but perceived a check in my spirit. Therefore, I scheduled my departure date on the 13th. A cold snap eventually hit Texas, causing parts of the state to lose power. On February 16th, I learned that most of the flights going in and out of San Antonio that day were cancelled. God prevented me from getting stranded at the airport.


While in grade school, I remember singing this song in music class:


Oh, you can't get to heaven on roller skates

You'd roll right past those pearly gates

Oh, you can't get to heaven in a rocking chair

'Cause the rocking chair won't get you there


Ultimately, you will get to heaven if you know the Lord. Doing good works or just believing God exists won’t get you there.


“For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.” - Ephesians 2:8-9


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?