Running from the Devil?

Shortly after giving my life to the Lord in 1991, I got involved with Toastmasters. This organization helps individuals develop their public speaking skills. One talk I created for a humorous speech contest was titled “Crap Music.” It was inspired by a coworker who jokingly talked of mixing country music with rap. That speech came to my remembrance after reading about a rapper claiming to embrace Christianity.

Lil Nas X burst onto the national scene with a huge hit in 2019. “Old Town Road” set an all-time record by logging 19 consecutive weeks on top of the Billboard Hot 100. That song combined elements of country and rap, plus featured an appearance by Billy Ray Cyrus (of “Achy Breaky Heart” fame). Lil Nas X also gained notoriety for coming out as gay and creating “Satan shoes.”


Now the rapper claims to have entered his “Christian Era.” In a teaser clip for a yet-to-be released song, he sang these lyrics:


Father stretch my hands

The lonely road seems to last the longest

Help me with my plans

Everything seems to go nowhere

Free me from worry and wanting pity

I don't want these feelings

I call on angels

I’m tryin' hard to face my pain, yeah

Give me hope when I feel less. 

Angels, I’m trying hard to keep my faith.


I want to believe this is a sincere prayer to our Heavenly Father. However, the rapper posted this message on X (formerly Twitter): “Y’all see everything I do as a gimmick...When in reality I’m just an artist expressing myself in different ways. Whether I’m a cowboy, gay, satanic, or now Christian, y’all find a problem! Y’all don’t police nobody else art like mine. Y’all hate me because I’m fun, cute and petite.” He made other offensive remarks when called out by Christians who know what Scripture says about mocking God.


When I read Lil Nas X’s tweet, I thought of 2 Timothy 2:19, “Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity.” It’s one thing to put on an act. Shock rocker Alice Cooper (who’s father was a preacher) committed his life to Christ but still performs some of the songs that made him famous. “Alice” believes his job is to warn people about the devil. He said, “The world belongs to Satan. We're living in that world, bombarded with that every day. If you don't have Christ in your life, you're a victim to that.”


Lil Nas X claims Christianity and the LBGTQ lifestyle “are not mutually exclusive.” That’s like saying one can be a Christian fornicator or adulterer. The two don’t mix. The Bible has many verses against homosexuality. I once pointed that out to a Facebook friend who professed to be a gay Christian. Sadly, he blocked me.


I pray Lil Nas X takes time to study the Bible and pursue a lifestyle pleasing to the Lord Jesus Christ. John 14:15 says, “If you love Me, keep My commandments.” That includes His standards for sex. 


“Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.” - 1 Corinthians 6:9-10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?