What is a Christian?


Some people can get hung up on semantics especially religious folk. One of my Facebook friends recently posted this on his page: “I want it to be VERY known. I’m NOT a Christian. I repented of that in 2009. I became a disciple. There is a difference.” 


I posted this comment in response: “I’m not ashamed to call myself a Christian. What’s your definition of one?” 


My friend replied, "An Antioch baby. An infant unwilling to grow up. Happy to be in diapers being bottle fed, and catered to.” This man went on to write a diatribe about so-called Christians enslaving his ancestors. 


Webster’s 1828 dictionary gives several definitions of the word Christian. One of them is: “A real disciple of Christ; one who believes in the truth of the christian religion, and studies to follow the example, and obey the precepts, of Christ; a believer in Christ who is characterized by real piety.”


Of course, not every professing Christian is officially one. While evangelizing, I occasionally meet people who claim to be a Christian. I ask them, “How did you become a Christian?” Some reply, “I was born into a Christian family.” I then ask, “If my parents were satanists, would that make me one?” They usually answer, “No.” That is to point out salvation is a gift one must choose to receive. Others have told me they are Christians because of wearing a cross around their neck. I then ask, “If you put a leash around your neck, would that make you a dog?”


If a Christian prefers to call himself a disciple, that’s his choice. It’s worth noting that “Disciples” are also the name of a black gang (Prince sang about them in his 1987 hit “Sign ‘O’ the Times”). I know other believers who refer to themselves as “Christ followers.” Regardless of what God-fearing people label themselves, they won’t get through the Pearly Gates unless their names are written in the Lamb’s Book of Life. 


“and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people. The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch.” - Acts 11:26 (NIV)

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?