Remembering Chris Lavikoff

On Father’s Day, many people spend time with their dads. Mine passed away almost seven years ago. Although I’ve had other father figures in my life, I want to honor someone who was like a mother to me. This past Wednesday, I learned she had gone home to be with the Lord.

For a few weeks in 2001, I lived with a family in Manassas, Virginia. Issues came up that made it necessary for me to find alternative housing. Through a mutual friend, I moved in with another family in the nearby city of Woodbridge. The matriarch was Merrie Christina Lavikoff. 


“Chris” (as she preferred to be addressed) was born in Long Island, New York but grew up in California. A stint in the U.S. Army brought her to Northern Virginia, where she met Jeffrey Lavikoff. Although Chris was Christian and Jeff was Jewish, they married and had three children: David, DebraLyn, and Emily. 


While I first lived with the Lavikoffs, Chris worked at and attended Christ Chapel, an Assembly of God fellowship. I occasionally went to their services plus joined them in local outreaches. On other weekends, I went down to Calvary Campground. Chris sometimes drove me to Ashland even though it was over an hour away.


Chris supported my calling as an evangelist. She offered to pay for the printing of my first book “Evangelism 101” (later renamed “Fishing for Men”). However, Chris made me agree not to witness to her husband because of other Christians forcing the gospel upon him. She eventually let me witness to Jeff before I left for a trip to Tampa. He didn’t pray then but later received the Messiah through another evangelist. 


Over the next few years, Chris hosted me numerous times whenever I needed a place to stay in Northern Virginia. When I talked about making a trip to California in 2003, Chris arranged for me to stay with her mother in Carlsbad and her cousin in Santa Barbara. She was a blessing to me in other ways and helped other missionaries.  


I also remember Chris liked to dance during church services. She is now dancing on streets of gold. Chris died on June 4th at the age of 75. She often felt a crown on her head while we prayed together. Chris now has one she will soon cast before the Lord’s throne in heaven. I will someday see her there.


“For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ” - Philippians 3:20

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?