Giving Heaven @ Humblefest


Even before committing my life to the Lord, I knew homosexuality was wrong. The thought of same-sex couples having intimate relations repulsed me. Nevertheless, I grew up around at least two guys who I discovered years later were homosexuals. One was a neighbor who lived two houses away from my childhood home in Moorhead, Minnesota. David was a bit eccentric. He had tall plants growing in his front yard that looked like a jungle. A year after I moved to Minneapolis, David died of AIDS. My parents told me he had admitted to them of being gay.

Another was a junior high classmate whose locker was next to mine. Thomas seemed popular with the girls and even became class president. So it surprised me when I eventually learned of him becoming a homosexual. In 2011, Thomas died unexpectedly of a heart attack at 46. Although he wasn’t friendly toward me at school, I still hate to think of this guy being in hell. Three years before his death, Thomas got “married” to his long-time partner.


Previously, I stayed away from ministering at gay pride events. I had seen many videos of preachers heavily persecuted at them. I’d rather go into areas where people are more receptive to the gospel. I’m also disgusted with LGBT activists pushing their agenda upon the general population. Whenever I’m about to walk into a business and see rainbow flags or similar artwork on display, I usually do an about-face and go someplace else. 


However, as Christians, we must remind ourselves that LGBT folk are lost sinners who need Jesus like everybody else. Therefore, we should be willing to reach out to them. Last year, I made it a point to walk through the Castro District while visiting San Francisco. I mostly prayed in the spirit but offered gospel tracts to two men. One was a transgender beggar who made blasphemous remarks. The other man acted fearful and “didn’t want to talk about it” but said he would read the tract.


Last Sunday, I went with Vertical Life Church to share the gospel at and near the annual Pride Festival at Loring Park in Minneapolis. Pastor Mark (who dubbed our outing “Humblefest”) had previously done outreaches at that park and successfully led people to Jesus. Before we left the church, he led us in a time of prayer and pointed out that many festival attendees don’t identify as LGBT but go there to party. Pastor Mark also said, “Pride festivals are not the bogeyman.”


Most of my co-laborers handed out rainbow flags with “Jesus Loves You” added in white print. The flags helped initiate conversations with people, but I chose not to give any out. At least 27 people became born again. I got to pray with six of them. The first two happened in a parking lot near Loring Park. A woman from Vertical Life approached one man and later called out to me to lead him in the prayer of salvation. Chance had an effeminate demeanor but thanked me for ministering to him. The next man I prayed with was a Hispanic visiting from Atlanta. His name was Journey. He encouraged me to “keep doing what you’re doing.”


Just before crossing Lyndale Avenue, I witnessed to two young black men walking together. One of them prayed to get saved plus received a gospel of John. Then at Loring Park, I briefly walked around to pray and spy out the land. Soon I felt led to walk toward the edge of the park. A man standing by himself stood out to me. Dez had recently moved to Minnesota from Raleigh, North Carolina. Despite wearing rainbow colors, he prayed to get saved. 


Next, I decided to return to Lyndale Avenue where homeless people often beg at intersections. Sure enough, there was one. It was a man I led to the Lord last month. He still thanked me for talking with him and giving him a snack. Then I noticed a Hispanic woman selling food nearby. Maria couldn’t speak English nor could she read. Therefore, I had her repeat the prayer of salvation with me instead of her reading it from the gospel tract. Later I learned another team from Vertical Life had witnessed to Maria earlier but didn’t know how to pray with her in Spanish. The last person I led to the Lord was another Ecuadorian named Jesús. He now knows Jesucristo.


Homosexuality and transgenderism are abominations that Christians shouldn’t condone (let alone celebrate). Still, we should be willing to reach out to the LGBT community with the gospel. They are our potential brothers and sisters in the Lord. Some individuals will persecute you, but others may receive salvation if the truth is spoken in love.


“Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.” - 1 Corinthians 6:9-11


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?