A Tribute to Al Best


October is Pastor Appreciation Month. This tribute is for one who went home to be with the Lord last Sunday. Al Best oversaw Light in Anoka Church in a northern suburb of Minneapolis.

Originally from Florida, Al first gave his life to the Lord at 17 but then backslid. Meanwhile, he served 21 years in the Navy and worked various jobs. That included selling Rainbow vacuum cleaners. I would eventually get to know his sales manager. Eric Gonyon became an associate pastor at Rodney Howard-Browne’s church (I usually attend services there when in Tampa). 


A few years after recommitting his life to the Lord, Al became a pastor. In 2007, the Lord directed him to head north to Minnesota, where his wife Jean is from. First, they ministered in the small town of Dassel. What started as a youth mission transitioned into regular services for all ages. Then in 2016, Al and Jean moved to Anoka to take on a church originally called New Day Fellowship. To counter the city’s motto as the “Halloween Capital of the World”, Al boldly declared Anoka the “Hallelujah Capital of the World.”


I first met Pastor Al in 2018. His church hosted revival meetings by evangelist David Woods. A friend who lived three blocks from the church noticed signs advertising the revival and suggested we check it out. After attending my first meeting there, I talked with Al in the parking lot. To my surprise, he invited me to preach at his church whenever I had something to share. Not only did I minister there numerous times, but we evangelized together. Al and I shared the gospel on the streets, at parades, fairs, and restaurants. In addition to tracts, we gave away stylus pens with his church’s name and address stamped on them.


Al let me stay in his parsonage a few times. Among them was during the COVID lockdowns of 2020. While most other churches closed their doors, Light in Anoka continued having meetings, plus we went for prayer walks and ministered to people. Al regularly bought meals for me without my asking. He also let me store some of my belongings at the house while I traveled to other parts of the country. 


In addition to his generosity, I appreciated Al’s humor and Southern mannerisms. Among my favorite memories of him were his interactions with his pit bull Noni. Although the dog was jumpy, he trained her not to touch the food in her dish until he said, “Mine…Mine…Okay.”


Al continued ministering to people while in the hospital. Despite fighting sickness and pain, he prayed for the nurses and saw some healed. Al even performed a wedding from his bed the day before passing away at the age of 72. He will be missed by me and his congregation who referred to him as the “best” pastor. 


“Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.” - Matthew 25:21

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited