In His Order

Over the years, I’ve become more selective regarding the kinds of churches I visit. No fellowship is perfect, and I’m careful not to adopt a critical spirit. However, I don’t want to sit through meetings void of the presence of God. I endured enough boring services at the religious institution I attended as a boy. Certainly, I won’t attend churches that affirm lifestyles that go against God’s word. I also shun fellowships that take potshots against the “prosperity gospel” and don’t have altar calls for salvation. 

Another turnoff to me is churches giving out bulletins listing an “order of service.” It’s one thing for a pastor to have a plan of action. Many churches have a format of worship, announcements, offering, sermon, and an altar call. Some will add communion and baptisms at varying levels of frequency. However, if the pastor insists on sticking to a set schedule and doesn’t allow for sudden moves of the Holy Spirt, then it can become a dead religious meeting. 


During a friend’s funeral last week, a bulletin was given out with a order of service. However, the pastor decided not to give his sermon at the end. He had allowed extra time for people to give eulogies. Many were ministers who addressed the need for salvation (something the pastor had planned to talk about). Another time in Toronto, I sat in a service where the minister testified about the time the Lord instructed him to have an altar call for salvation during the offering. He thought that was strange, but obeyed and someone got saved.


1 Corinthians 14:40 says, “Let all things be done decently and in order.” Let’s make sure it’s His order of things. Pastors should allow for changes during church services as the Lord leads.


“A man’s heart plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps.” - Proverbs 16:9



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Looking Back @ the Toronto Blessing

The Gospel Soul Winning Script