Saved by the Bell?


Some people give strange excuses not to go to church. Two days ago while evangelizing in Saint Petersburg, Florida, I witnessed to a man who professed to be a believer. I had doubts about that. Besides refusing to confess Jesus as his Lord (1 Corinthians 12:3), he insisted the park where we were talking was his church. Soon I heard bells ringing from a nearby building. I pointed to it while saying to this man, “That’s a church!” 

Later it occurred to me that the Bible doesn’t command churches to have bells. They aren’t found at all in the New Testament. Exodus 28:33 and 39:25 does mention priests with golden bells at the hem of their garments. Their ringing was to verify the priests were still alive while ministering in God's presence. It also says in Zechariah 14:20 that on the Day of the Lord, “…’HOLINESS TO THE LORD’ shall be engraved on the bells of the horses.”


Church bells held more significance years ago. They alerted communities that it was time to meet for prayer, worship, or other special events. Bells were also used to signal certain times of the day. Nowadays, fewer churches have bell towers because of noise complaints, high maintenance costs, and the shift to modern technologySome traditional denominations still use them as well as hand bells during services. I have a relative who plays the latter at her Presbyterian church.


Some religious folk believe the chiming of church bells has spiritual power. While I was in elementary school, one of my music teachers played Edvard Grieg’s orchestral piece “In the Hall of the Mountain King.” It was about a man named Peer Gynt being taken over by evil spirits until church bells rang in the finale.


Bells can be used to “make a joyful noise onto the Lord.” (Psalm 100:1) Ultimately, it’s the name of Jesus that saves and brings lasting deliverance.


“Some want to live within the sound of church or chapel bell; I want to run a rescue shop, within a yard of hell.” - C. T. Studd


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Looking Back @ the Toronto Blessing

The Gospel Soul Winning Script