Little Christians That Could

One of my favorite books growing up was “The Little Engine That Could” by Watty Piper. This story is about a group of toys on a train carrying them and some food. The train was about to go over a mountain when their engine suddenly died. The toys sought another engine to help them, but three big ones rejected their pleas. Then they encountered a smaller engine uncertain it could do the job. Nevertheless, the engine pulled the toys over the mountain while repeatedly saying, “I think I can…I think I can.”


Many believers belittle themselves when facing unfavorable circumstances. When instructed to confront Pharaoh to let the children of Israel go free, Moses complained, “O my Lord, I am not eloquent…I am slow of speech and slow of tongue.” (Exodus 4:10) Later when it was time to enter the Promised Land, most of the Israelites called themselves “grasshoppers” in comparison to the giants they had to fight off. (Numbers 13:33). Because of negative thinking, none of those Israelites possessed the land except for Joshua and Caleb forty years later.


Nowadays, a majority of Christians avoid obeying the Great Commission because of fear. Some have told me, “I can’t win souls like you.” Philippians 4:13 says, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” In ourselves, we cannot accomplish anything of eternal value. But God has created us to be more than conquerors (Romans 8:37) and to occupy till Jesus comes. (Luke 19:13)


Henry Ford was famous for saying, “Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t—you’re right.” How do you choose to think about yourself?


“Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things” - Philippians 4:8 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?