8 Reasons Not to Support Black Lives Matter
Almost a year ago, the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis sparked riots there and in other cities. Then last Sunday, the police shooting of Daunte Wright in the adjoining suburb of Brooklyn Center resulted in more unrest. These and other incidents have spurred greater attention to the Black Lives Matter movement. Their mission “is to eradicate white supremacy and build local power to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes.” Certainly, I’m against racism. However, there are reasons why I will not support BLM…
- Black Lives Matter dishonors authority. I’ve seen protesters make ugly remarks and gestures toward the police. Those crying “justice for Daunte Wright” need to be reminded he was being arrested for an outstanding warrant. While it’s tragic Daunte was accidentally shot and killed, that wouldn’t have happened if he hadn’t committed another crime: fleeing the police. Romans 13:4 says, “For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.” There are consequences for breaking the law.
- Black Lives Matter disrespects other people’s time. One of their tactics that immediately turned me off to their cause is blocking highways. These types of protests cost time and money for commuters trying to get to work. What if somebody dies because an emergency vehicle cannot get around a BLM protest? Their lives matter, too. Philippians 2:4 says, “Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.”
- Black Lives Matter has little regard for other people’s property. While some protesters simply display signs and banners, others write graffiti (often profane remarks) on public property and businesses. Greater New York Black Lives Matter president Hawk Newsome warned last year in a Fox News interview that if the United States “doesn’t give us what we want, then we will burn down this system and replace it.” Looting is not the answer. Ephesians 4:28 says, “Let him who stole steal no longer, but rather let him labor, working with his hands what is good, that he may have something to give him who has need.”
- The BLM website calls for defunding the police. This is a ridiculous idea. Who are we supposed to call when criminals threaten our communities? Without our men and women in blue, there would be more chaos and anarchy. Most law enforcement officials strive to do their jobs with excellence. Far more people die from medical malpractice than police shootings.
- Black Lives Matter promotes deviant lifestyle choices. Their website states, “We affirm the lives of Black queer and trans folks.” 1 Corinthians 6:18 says, “Flee sexual immorality.”
- Black Lives Matter promotes anti-Semitism. Their platform has described Israel as an “apartheid state” that perpetrates “genocide” against the Palestinian people. As a result, they endorse the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions campaign. Scripture encourages us to bless the Jewish people (Genesis 12:3, Psalm 122:6). The United States has suffered devastating consequences when our government enacts policies against Israel.
- Black Lives Matter co-founder Patrisse Khan-Cullors and her fellow organizers are avowed Marxists. A Norwegian politician named Petter Eide who represents the Socialist Left Party nominated BLM for the 2021 Nobel Peace Prize. Marxism results in reduced freedom for everyone except those in political power. The Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation took in over $90 million in 2020. Patrisse has spent at least $3.2 million on personal real estate. The mother of Breonna Taylor (another police shooting victim) has called her local Black Lives Matter chapter a fraud.
- The Black Lives Matter website calls for banning Donald Trump from future political office and all digital media platforms. The 45th President of the United States isn’t perfect but his policies are more in line with Judeo-Christian values than what the Democratic Party promotes. Trump has First Amendment rights just like every other American.
This past Thursday, I went with two friends to share the gospel with those gathered near the Brooklyn Center Police Department. Many tracts were handed out. Some people received prayer. A few of them got saved. Racial injustice and police brutality are wrong but so are Christians aligning with ungodly causes. One can minister to Black Lives Matter supporters without getting caught up in their agenda. The root problem isn’t black violence or white privilege but sin. The answer is red…the blood of Jesus that washes away our sin if we repent and forgive others.
“You must not follow the crowd in doing wrong. When you are called to testify in a dispute, do not be swayed by the crowd to twist justice.” - Exodus 23:2 (NLT)