My Response to a Jehovah’s Witness Letter


A friend of mine who’s been hosting me recently received this letter in the mail from a Jehovah's Witness. In addition to mailing him a written response, I’m posting it here online…


Dear Roland, 


I’m a missionary based in Virginia but currently working in Minnesota. Recently you sent a form letter to various neighbors. That included a friend who’s been hosting me. I read your letter and decided to send you this reply.


I’m also concerned about the health and welfare of my neighbors. I’ve shared the gospel in various cities for almost thirty years and seen many lives transformed. Occasionally I’ve encountered Jehovah’s Witnesses and recognize their dedication to what they believe. It’s sad that many Christians (especially here in America) are reluctant to share the Good News with others.


Before the COVID-19 pandemic began, I noticed Jehovah's Witnesses by their carts displaying Watchtower literature. Often I asked them this question: “If someone stuck a knife in my back and I have three minutes left to live, how can I know for sure I will enter the kingdom?” Some have answered, “You can’t know for sure.” 1 John 5:12-13 says otherwise, “He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.”


Others have replied, “Through good works.” Think of the fallacy of that response. If I’m dying, it’s too late for me to do good works. One of the thieves crucified with Jesus couldn’t do any good deed and cried out to Him for mercy. What was Jesus’ response? “Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.” (Luke 23:43)


I looked at the webpage you recommended called “A Real Hope for a Better Tomorrow.” One thing that should be pointed out is that the Bible has promises available to us today. For example, I often minister to homeless people. They wouldn’t have much hope if told of only having homes on a restored earth in the future. The homeless need housing right now! I often share Isaiah 32:18 with them, “My people will dwell in a peaceful habitation, in secure dwellings, and in quiet resting places.” I’ve stood on this verse many times when needing a place to live. The Lord has been faithful to provide. What He has done for me, He can do for them. 


Also, healing is available today. Jesus said in Mark 16:17-18, “And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons…they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.” I’ve seen that happen many times when ministering on the streets and elsewhere. Believers don’t have to wait until the Millennium to walk in divine health.


I’ve heard other Jehovah's Witnesses talk about “inheriting the earth.” Colossians 3:2 tells us, “Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.” I’m looking forward to a glorious future that will include returning to earth with Jesus at the battle of Armageddon (Revelation 19:14). Before that, I will enjoy the Marriage Supper of the Lamb in heaven because that’s where my citizenship is (Philippians 3:20). If you’re still on earth during the seven-year tribulation period, are you prepared to endure the reign of the antichrist and avoid taking the mark of the beast (Revelation 13:16-18)?


Again I appreciate your willingness to reach out to others. However, Galatians 1:6-9 warns of people being accursed for preaching a different gospel based on works. I appeal to you to learn more about who Jesus really is. The jw.org website denies His divinity (claiming “Jesus is not Almighty God”). Yet Jesus Himself said in John 8:58, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.” Thomas later said to Him in John 20:28, “My Lord and my God!” 


I highly recommend following the JW website’s suggestion to “dig deeper” by studying the gospels for yourself. Instead of blindly accepting the Watchtower’s interpretation of them, please use a Bible version other than the New World Translation and a Strong’s Concordance to verify the original Hebrew and Greek writings of Scripture. Hopefully, you will also realize the eternal destiny that awaits those who aren’t born again. Revelation 20:10, 15 warns of the wicked burning in the lake of fire. This is not symbolic. In Luke 16:19-31, Jesus described a rich man who died and found himself tormented in flames forever!


If you wish to reply to this letter, it would be best to do so online. Because of my travels, I usually pick up my snail mail once or twice a year. In the meantime, I pray you get to know the real Jesus of the Bible and enter into a personal relationship with Him.


In Christ,

Todd R. Post

www.signsandwonders.org


“To Him [Jesus] all the prophets witness that, through His name, whoever believes in Him will receive remission of sins.” - Acts 10:43

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?