My Post Office Box

When I started pursuing a music career in 1984, my dad let me use his post office box in Moorhead, Minnesota. I thought having a PO box for an address looked more professional when corresponding with record companies and other businesses. After relocating to Minneapolis the following year, I got a box there. I frequently moved to different houses and apartments in the Twin Cities area. Little did I know that would prepare me for the mission field. Eventually, I started traveling more and often didn’t have a long-term place to live. My PO box gave me a consistent address to collect mail.

In late 2001, I resided with families in Northern Virginia but regularly attended meetings at Calvary Campground in Ashland. Therefore, I opened a PO box there. The box number they gave me was 329. That made me think of Galatians 3:29, “And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.” Since then, I’ve had that box except for a few months in 2005-2006. I went to Florida with my then-wife and decided not to renew the post office box partially due to financial reasons. It had also been a point of contention in our marriage. Not long after we tied the knot, my wife suddenly threatened to leave me if she didn’t have a key to the box. I got an extra key for her, but she didn’t receive mail there. We soon separated and subsequently divorced


While temporarily living in Richmond with a man I met at the campground, he offered to help me get a post office box again. My old box in Ashland was still available. I believe God saved that for me. (Fortunately, my ex-wife couldn’t try accessing my mail because the post office changed the locks.) As e-commerce became more common, plus my communication with people was usually online, I received less snail mail. Much of the stuff in my box was coupons and other pieces of junk mail. Occasionally I considered closing the box again or getting one somewhere else but perceived the Lord wanted me to keep it in Ashland.


The renewal fee for my post office box was due again at the end of this month. Previously I paid $46 for six months. I was shocked to learn the price more than doubled to $97! I thought that was too much money and prepared to close the box. Still, I needed an address in case someone wants to mail me a check or another physical item. The organization that ordained me was willing to let me use their address for a season. So I posted a Facebook comment informing my friends of my pending change of address. To my surprise, a man (who ironically had been married to my ex-wife before she passed away two years ago) offered to send me money to keep the Ashland box open. I like how God provides in unexpected ways.


Someday in the future, I will make a permanent address change. I will move to a home in heaven. In the meantime, I will invite people to change their addresses for eternity. 


“In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.” - John 14:2

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?