Tips on Tipping

I don’t dine out as often as I used to. Eating at restaurants has become more expensive. Even fast food places have gotten pricey. It wasn’t too long ago a double cheeseburger at McDonald’s could be purchased for 99 cents. Now they charge $3! I still go there for coffee but avoid buying food unless I like one of the special deals on their app.

Another reason I don’t eat out much is the expectation to tip at certain places. I can relate to waiters and waitresses trying to earn a living. In 1994, I briefly worked as a food server at a Ponderosa Steakhouse and appreciated taking money home every day.

Still, I’m not fond of establishments trying to squeeze more money from their customers. A friend who used to own a restaurant ate at one where they suggested the tip include the tax amount. At Asian buffets, I’ve seen tip jars by the Hibachi grill. I don’t put money in there since that food is included in the buffet price. Usually, I won’t tip at a buffet or when getting carryout since I'm dishing up my own food. I’ll make an exception when wanting to give my drink server a gospel tract (even though I usually have water). It’s not a good witness to leave the tract only. 

I often pay for my meals in cash to make sure they don’t overcharge me, plus my server gets the tip. Sometimes they get divided up by other employees. Once at an all-you-can-eat sushi place where the waitress brought my food, she wasn’t around when I was ready to leave. So I handed the manager a $20 bill (my meal was $15) and asked for ones in change. At first, he gave me only one dollar bill and started walking away. The manager presumed I wanted to leave a $4 tip. That dampened an otherwise decent meal. I stopped him and said I would give $3. Usually, I’ll leave a 20% tip but will do more for exceptional service. That’s for the customer to decide, not management.

I’ve heard testimonies of ministers giving big tips to waiters and waitresses who were struggling financially. A pastor I know tips 50% of his bill. Evangelist Todd White has a habit of “tipping the bill” (giving one equal to the cost of his meal). Perhaps I’ll do that someday. In the meantime, I’m eating more at home. It saves money, plus you decrease the possibility of food poisoning. Either way, it’s important to pray over your meals before eating.

“So you shall serve the Lord your God, and He will bless your bread and your water. And I will take sickness away from the midst of you.” - Exodus 23:25

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?