Resurrect Your Dreams

Many people let their goals go dormant as they get older. Sometimes it’s due to disappointments in life. Philippians 3:13 tells us to forget those things which are behind and reach forward to those things which are ahead.

Others become consumed with present-day concerns such as family responsibilities and paying the bills. Those things shouldn’t be neglected. However, we weren’t created to live a mundane existence. Daniel 11:32 says, “…the people who know their God shall be strong, and carry out great exploits.”


God wants us to be dreamers. Look at Psalm 126…


1 When the Lord brought back the captivity of Zion, We were like those who dream. 

2 Then our mouth was filled with laughter, and our tongue with singing. Then they said among the nations, “The Lord has done great things for them.”

3 The Lord has done great things for us, and we are glad.


God has given us talents that sometimes go beyond our natural abilities. That’s so He gets the glory. During the late 1980s, I worked as a nightclub disc jockey while pursuing a career producing electronic music. Becoming a minister was the furthest thing from my mind. Eventually, I put my musical pursuits aside and focused on knowing the Lord. Occasionally, I created recordings when equipment owned by others became available to me. Now I can produce electronic music anytime with my MacBook Pro and iPad. However, my focus in life is seeing souls saved. 


I’ve also gotten back into deejaying. In 2006, I launched an online radio station. Four years later, I found an app called Virtual DJ. That allowed me to beat mix MP3 files on my laptop like I used to do with vinyl records. I’ve since done a few “glory parties” in people’s homes. However, God wants me to use my DJ skills more for evangelistic outreaches. I regularly practice my beat-mixing skills to be ready when those opportunities manifest.


There is often a waiting period before our dreams come to pass. Sometimes it’s to test our character. In Genesis 37, Joseph had two dreams about his family bowing down to him. His brothers’ jealousy resulted in him being sold into slavery. Joseph spent thirteen years in Egyptian captivity until his gift of dream interpretation elevated him to second-in-command behind Pharaoh.


What about your dreams? Maybe God is calling you to write a book, minister to prisoners, take a missionary trip to another country, or start a business to generate money to get the gospel out. Unless God instructs you to put your dreams on the shelf for a season, I encourage you to take action to make them a reality. 


Don’t put limits on what God can do through you. One of my favorite messages from Joel Osteen is titled “Ask Big.” Often our prayers are too small. Pastor Joel encourages us to approach God like it’s our birthday. As Ephesians 3:20 says, “Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us.”


On this Easter Sunday, Christians celebrate the resurrection of our Lord. I pray this article exhorts you to bring life back to your God-given desires that you may have put on the shelf.


“I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live.” - John 11:25

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?